CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

ADVICE, PLEASE??

How can I be more interesting on Saturday? 

How can I be more interesting in general? 

Today I got out a kazoo that my friend won last Friday at a restaurant. I blew into it, and there was no sound. How lousy is that?? A broken kazoo... I was so looking forward to playing it...

You know how with some people you're so comfortable that you can talk for hours and not be bored, but how with other people words kinda get stuck in your throat? Maybe it's just my inability to start a conversation... 

7 comments:

Zany said...

When I meet someone new and I am out of conversation topics, I end up asking general questions about their interests, or the current popular topic that is doing the rounds in the media. I hope that helps :).

Vizarya said...

I agree with Zany. Asking questions about the other person - random mixed with something sensible - is the best way to get them to talk. Unless they really like turning the questions right back at you >.< In which case you'll just have to take it as it comes.

Don't think of silences as awkward and tense. If you're relaxed, you'll appear more approachable and comfortable with who you are.

If you don't like silences, comment on some things around you. Sometimes the words you say will bring around a question or memory which could lead to a conversation.

Also... don't overthink what you're going to say. If you want to say something, go for it. The worst thing that could happen is that you say nothing at all, right? If you mess up your train of thought while trying to articulate it, laugh it off. Maybe you'll treasure the moment later - but some people like people who don't seem stuck up.

Um. It's easy trying to be crazy interesting... just do/say random stuff. But why would you try to exaggerate a side of you that isn't really... you? You'll just be setting expectations for yourself that you can't stick with in the end.

Have you ever thought you were interesting? Because you are. Your family, your writing, your tastes in humor, your innate leadership abilities to try and take things into your own hands... I'm sure that if you get the memories flowing, you're bound to come up with something.

Being interesting doesn't mean being the one talking the whole time. So if you do get around to talking, you have to be ready to listen - they might be hesitant to interrupt you... and let THEIR memories go off into oblivion, as such (think of how many good filler memories you could be missing out on because you wanted to completely tell your side of the world).

People like talking about themselves. You don't have to look crazy to be interesting. Getting the hang of starting conversations just takes a little practice... and an inherent lack of being self-conscious.

The little things may jump out at you, but take all that and turn them into a memory.

Er, wow, this is long.

Believe in yourself, and good luck!

Maria Sondule said...

Thanks both of you for your comments. I'll try my best to take your advice, after all asking question can't be too hard.

Vizarya said...

Never underestimate the power of questions! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think conversation is an art form. With some peeps it seems easier to be abstract; and with others, it can be more of a conceptual conversation.

But the greatest of all conversation is the ever changing, and random conversation.

I have an award for you.

Jesse

changetheworld360 said...

Aww, you guys took what I was going to say! But, good advice all around!
I totally get your dilemma, since I have the same problems. Just be as cool as a cucumber: relaxed and natural. It's easier said than done, but it will definitely help.
Have fun on Saturday! ;)

Anonymous said...

It is not up to you to be interesting. It depends on your partner and on his/her taste. You should just be yourself and find the person who finds you interesting.