CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Host


The Host, by Stephenie Meyer, is a wonderful sci-fi romance adventure novel. Set in Tuscon Arizona, it focuses on The Wanderer, an alien parasite called a "soul." The souls have invaded Earth and occupy host humans, destroying their minds in the process. The Wanderer is inside the body of Melanie Stryder. There is only one thing that keeps her from having a normal life- Melanie won't go away. This action-packed novel keeps minds reeling as Melanie and The Wanderer go on adventures through the physical world as well as inside themselves. 

Stephenie Meyer is also the author of the wildly popular series Twilight featuring a human and a vampire that fall in love. There are many similarities between the two stories, especially in the characters. For instance, both Bella and The Wanderer have the inability to lie, and are suicidally selfless. Edward, of course, can never have an equal, but the jealousy that boils between two "friends" of The Wanderer seems quite similar to the relationship between Edward and Jacob. 
Although The Host may leave some Twilight fans disappointed because Edward does not pop in to save the day like always, this book delights and will leave few unsatisfied. I highly recommend it. So over the holiday break, instead of gorging on chocolates, read this 619 page masterpiece!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read part of the host but then i stopped in the middle for some reason... perhaps i shall start again?

changetheworld360 said...

I shall take this into consideration even though I have a massive list of books I have to read. Have a wonderful break! =D

Vizarya said...

Lol, always wondered what this was all about... now I think I shall definitely check it out the next chance I get =)

Unknown said...

Would you recommend this book to someone who was utterly disappointed with Twilight?

Many people I know who love Stephenie Meyer say I will adore The Host since I hated Twilight, but I'd like your opinion on that, too. :)