CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 15, 2008

Finn :-)

Today we climbed the fire-tower! (we here includes only me and Spring) We were the first ones up the tower, because we were the most obnoxious, and didn't take no for an answer. I felt bad for being so mean, at least we got what we wanted.
The stairs were old and rickety, and much steeper than they appeared to be. I had a bit of trouble climbing them, because I was a little afraid of falling. (normally I wouldn't care; my philosophy is, if you die, you die and that's that) (but I guess something has given me new vitality)
Up in the fire-tower it's cramped and drab and cold, but there's a great view. I leaned out the window to wave at Lila. When she tried to climb up with Uncle Bob, she was back on the ground three seconds later saying, "I forgot I was scared of heights."
We then went on a nice hike down the "Indian Turnip" trail. (I think)

Yesterday, we got this note from our neighbors inviting us over for a campfire and fireworks display. We arranged to meet them at 8:30 and today brought over some wood and marshmallows at that precise hour. The neighbors are really nice. (NOT our beer neighbors) There's this blond boy, Finn, who's about 8 years old and Spike, his dad, along with his mom and grandparents. (who I never caught the names of) Finn kept making comments about the All American Firework that he was going to light off. Even I was surprised at how long it was-over a foot, and with a circumference about the size of my head. (Sry, I couldn't thin of any other good comparison) Finn lit the smaller fireworks, and his grandfather lit the big one, which burned for more than 5 minutes.
"The best part is seeing Grandad run," Finn loudly stated. Back in our yard, Uncle Bob laughed.

The last day:
The olympics have started. School is in 20 days. (this was written on Aug 8) It feels like time is passing much too quickly.
Today we went on the most beautiful hike by a waterfall. The drop seemed really short compared to Niagara, but it was actually pretty far off the ground. We stuck our feet in the water. It felt so weird to sit beside something so fresh and moving and... just beautiful I guess. Everything smelled good too. Unfortunately, we only got an hour there because Spring's dad had a job interview.
When we got back there was fish for lunch- fish that we'd caught yesterday out in the boat. It still had eyes and everything, but I ate it anyway. After all, it's not like the fish we usually buy is any different.
Later I said my own goodbye to the lake. *raises left eyebrow* (lol) Out on the docks it's so calm and peaceful... I know I'm going to miss that sense of being close to nature. I sat out there and sang the Sh'ma to myself over and over again while listening to the water lap onto the banks. Living here would be so great.

Now, instead of going home like was planned, I get to spend half a week with my aunt and Spring!!! And then I get to come home on the train!!!!

2 comments:

Vizarya said...

Wow, the fire-tower seems like a fantastic place to be (given that you aren't afraid of heights, that is)!

Seems like you spend a lot of time with campfires and fireworks... and hikes and water... and nature and stuff XD It sounds like so much fun :)

Yay for you being able to stay with Spring for a while longer! It's best to enjoy the summer vacation as best you can before it's gone, right? ^_~

Maria Sondule said...

Yup