1. Family- we always visit my cousins over the holidays, which is lovely for me because I get to see my best friend.
2. Presents- I admit it, I love getting presents. It's a chance to get stuff you need without having to pay for it. Plus the mystery of what awaits us on Christmas morning is phenomenal. I also love giving presents, especially because my presents are homemade, so they took extra effort to prepare. This year my best one is a painting of my sister and my cousin that I made for my great aunt, who is a painter. Mom bought me a lovely frame for it.
3. The food. -Always delightful. We made a yule log this year, and pies, and cookies, and there should be some sort of extravagant christmas dinner as well... It'll be hard not to gain weight.
4. Candlelight service- Every Christmas eve my cousin's church does a beautiful candlelight service where we sing Silent Night a cappella and the whole room is aglow with the soft light of flames.
5. No school! Extra sleep-in time is always a plus..
6. Decorations- a huge Christmas tree covered in tinsel, snowflakes hanging from the ceiling...
7. Ice skating- ice skating season~ Time for a nice slippery lap around the rink.
8. The look on people's faces when they open a present they really love. -it makes the whole room light up.
9. warmth- who celebrates Christmas in the cold??? We bundle up under blankets and sit of the fireplace drinking hot chocolate.
10. Magic- I suppose as you get older the magic of Christmas wears thing, but for me it's still there. No, I don't believe in Santa or anything, but I believe in the spirit of love that comes with this holiday.
So, Merry Christmas! If you don't celebrate Christmas, have a merry Christmas anyway. It never hurst to be happy for a day.



5 comments:
Merry Christmas! :) Great list - I wouldn't have changed anything, myself. I love buying and making presents for people, and baking! Oh, I love baking this time of year. It's so festive and fun. I especially love the way most people get into the Christmas spirit, it really brings us together as a cohesive community. Lovely post. xxx
Oh, go on then. I'll do my best. I still think it's humbug, but I'm also still glad that people enjoy it. Some people don't, you know, they just get loaded with stress. I've seen it. Inner city areas over here are loaded with frowning people, worried because they don't know how they're going to deal with the debt after Christmas.
Number 9 intrigues me. Is your house that cold?
I like the food in Christmas time and finally they don't air stupid Christmas movies in Christmas time, but they show the Die Hard instead. YEAH!!! I like Bruce Willis movies. :D
It's Christmas Day in the UK, Maria, so may I wish you a happy, safe, warm Christmas filled with love.
And may I also say that when I first encountered you in the blogosphere, I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. The more I see of you through your writings, however, both fiction and journal, the more I get a sense of a very lovely and engaging person. I hope you keep moving ever further into the light.
And, just in case you thought otherwise, I haven't had a drink since two glasses of port over six hours ago!
:D I'm glad the holiday season is staying with you - so much so that you saw fit to share the happiness factor with the rest of us!
You're lucky you have family nearby. No one around here is blood-related to me, and there's just been too much history between the family friends... it just doesn't feel as "family"-ish as it should when we get together every once in a blue moon. I guess my family now consists of my mom and my close friends.
That's so cool that you make your own presents (haha, you remind me of Spring in this way)!
Candlelight service :D My church has this awesome version of Silent Night that we sing too (not a cappella awesome, but we start it off in German and layer with each voice). I love it so much, it sends chills down my spine!
I really need to learn how to ice skate... I can roller-skate, no prob. I know how to ride a scooter and a bike... but I haven't gotten around to ice skating. Most likely because I feel so clumsy on my feet WITHOUT the extra slip XD
Hahaha, your #9 is a good point. But if it weren't cold, there wouldn't be as much fun gathering around a fireplace with blankets and hot chocolate.
Magic, magic... there is still magic in Christmas, yes. Maybe not Santa Christmas, but there's definitely something.
Post a Comment