CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Codfish Breath

Santana the cat whispered tragic things into the evening sunset, tragic things indeed. I could feel his droopy whiskers quiver and smell his codfish breath as he spoke.

"And all the empty humans and they all went down to the sea and the fishhooks howled with loneliness..."
His ramblings were of no consequence to me and I unfurled the mast of my little fishing boat.
"Good fish to you, Spines!" my friend Mollyworm called to me across the water, hopping into her own boat, Madrigal. I meowed in response.
'The good fish drowned, the good ones drowned," Santana muttered, rocking back and forth on his hind paws. I paid no mind; Santana the cat was as crazy as his whiskers were long.
My boat was cooperating with the sloshy tide floating out serenely into the harbor.
"Good fish to you, cats!" I called and waved.
Night was falling, and red-rimmed clouds were rapidly becoming black. I relaxed and let the current push me out further, until all I could see of the dock was a pair of glowing yellow cat eyes. I bent my furry head down to the water and heard Santana's voice in the laps of the ocean, whispering tragic things, tragic things indeed.


8 comments:

JJ said...

Why do the ends of words get cut off in the text box of your new blog layout? It's a bit annoying.

And I wonder where you're going, Maria. There's a sense of inner mischief about you.

Maria Sondule said...

The words don't get cut off in my text box... I don't know why that layout would look different for you.

JJ said...

Story of my life, that.

september said...

I can see the text fine too...

http://blacknails-epicfails.blogspot.com/

JJ said...

It's only on this one post.

Vizarya said...

Okay, I LOVE the picture. And the names (Mollyworm!). And the appearance of "sloshy" (I don't know why, but it makes me smile).

Yay, cat stories! Grr... I hope there's more to follow somewhere? *hopeful smile*

Nice start. A lot of characters introduced, but the setting exudes a friendly tone until the loneliness of the fishing settles in. Or... the stillness of the waiting, anyway.

Maria Sondule said...

Really? Wow, I guess I completely missed the mark with this one... time for a rewrite perhaps...

Vizarya said...

*snorts* You do realize I'm only giving my interpretation based on what I see and what I've been through before, right? You don't have to rewrite it, just bring it to another mini-scenario :]