CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bharathanatya Arangetram


No, an arangetram is not a type of monkey or transportation. Pronounced ah-ran-GAY-trum, this Indian custom is a rite of passage for many girls. The girl studies for seven months to learn eight Indian dances (1 hr and 15 min in all) and then performs them for her peers and family. I recently had the pleasure of attending once, as Delia had just completed her training. She also asked Melinda and I to give a joint speech following one of the dances so she could have an extended costume change.

So, I brought a nice dress, got my hair "fluffed" and wrote my portion of the speech.
When Delia appeared on stage, she was literally covered from head to toe with all sorts of adornments. Jewels hung down over her forehead, flower garlands were attached to her hair, and she had a long fake braid that spiraled down to her ankles. Her face was caked with makeup, making her look almost plastic, like a doll. The tips of her fingers, as well as her toes and palms, were painted red so a to mimic shoes and gloves.
And of course her actual clothes made the rest look dull. Shiny purple, gold and orange fabric were woven in an intricate pattern around her body, creating the appearance of a dress that was actually a shirt and pants. A bejeweled belt hung off her waist and sparkled under the stage lights.
Around Delia's ankles were bands of bells which jingled as she stomped out the beat with her feet.
Delia's dancing was beautifully graceful to watch and to listen to. Every foot movement had an accompanying twist of the arms or hands. Once dance featured the classic Indian head move, where the dancer moves her head from side to side but not her neck.
At the end of the ceremony, after my speech, Delia thanked everyone for a successful performance and called people up on stage, where we received elegant roses, and of course, a hug.
Afterward, my father claimed that he could "do that, with some practice."
Huh. I'd like to see him try.

2 comments:

JJ said...

I've heard that professional Indian dancers do a twelve year, full time training course before they're allowed to perform in public. they take their skills seriously over there.

I do realise that this isn't the same thing, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

And I agree about your dad.

Vizarya said...

THAT'S what it's called! *epiphany and revelations*

Jealousy~ *happy smile* I'm so glad you had a fantastic time :) I almost wish you had an accompanying video, but I understand the need for privacy. Besides, some things are just infinitesimally that much cooler when witnessed in person.

Your dad probably could perform one of the dances given time and effort :] Although, if he ever decides to learn, I wonder if he'd think about wearing a turban...