CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas

This Christmas is a special one, and not only because Obama's elves are popping out huge stimulus packages which our president then slips under businesses' Christmas trees. Although America's faltering economy may have something to do with it... All over the country, people have been getting less presents because of the massive layoffs. Of course, here we didn't really feel the effects, because our family has been blessed with an abundant income (maybe someone a thousand generations ago pleased God?) but who can escape the propeganda and everything around us? One of my good friends received a meager assortment of gifts, to which I promised "I'll send you something as soon as I get home." However, she had a interesting response. "No, don't bother, I got everything I wanted. Time with family, right?"
My friend has the right sentiments. Christmas has become a gigantic commercial holiday, based more on money than love, and practically naught on the real theme of Christmas- baby Jesus's birthday. Store owners are afraid to say "Merry Christmas," Christians are rampaging against anyone who simply wishes "happy holidays" and God help the father who does not bring his daughter a Miley Cyrus CD.
Christmas should not be measured by teh number of presents one gets, but by the amount of love that goes into each one. My friend understood that, and she had one of the best Christmases ever, despite the lack of gifts. Let's hope that everyone can unwrap a box of holiday spirit next year.

3 comments:

Imogen said...

So true. It's just another time when shops sell you things.

Anonymous said...

It is only because in my opinion you (the USA) managed to elect the Dumber from Dumb and Dumber. This bailout thing is not worth nothing with some restrictions. Obama talked about some bank restrictions but it is not enough. He had a lavish inauguration ceremony in the middle of the crisis. I ask: what the hell is that?

Read about one of our former minister of finances who is one of the candidates for Premiership. We will elect in 2010. After the fall of communism we had a quite serious recession and Hungary was (and still is) on a much lower level than the US. It is when Bokros Lajos (Lajos Bokros for you) came and he had such an austerity program that you in the US would pee under yourselves.

You, Americans are world leaders ar crying about taxes while in Hungary people pay more with half of the income. Here fuel has double costs than in the US. Moreover there are many poorer countries than Hungary.

So my message for 2010 is to wake up from your pink dream and tighten this effing belt. If I was your president (I can't be because I wasn't born in the US luckily) I would do so.

Vizarya said...

Presents are nice to get, but we all know that what really matters is the holiday vibe we share with others.

Like, I didn't get much this year (or last year), but I didn't get to go out and wish everyone happy Christmas and all... so it was like an extended holiday when my mom and I made rounds to greet everyone ^_^