My third and final round I was paired with Jack himself. We were being judged by a college kid with a major in philosophy, and I was on the negative side. Jack made his statement and I made mine, refuting his points of the basis that they weren't addressing morals. While I was reading my case, I looked at Jack and he was shaking his head and laughing at me. And later when I said something else he looked up at me, raised his eyebrows, and smirked as if to say, "Really? You're that stupid?" I glared at him and what ensued was one of the most aggressive rounds I have participated in.
Jack: Do you agree that compulsory immunizations are guaranteed to work?
Me: Not necessarily.
Jack: Why not?
Me: Well what if people rebel against the government? What if they kill themselves rather than take the vaccinations?
Jack: But you will still have 100% immunity.
Me: Yes, but in the process people would die.
Jack: But it protects the society as a whole.
Me: This wouldn't protect society.
Jack: (raises his eyebrows) Except it would.
Me: You aren't taking into account my statement that proves that-
Jack: (rolls his eyes) I will address this in my rebuttal. Let's move on.
Afterwards, Jack said to me, "Good debating."
"You too."
I knew it was a close round, and I was hoping that I had won.
Before the prizes were announced, there was some free time which I spent among other things with Latika.
"Who's more attractive, our coach or Jack?" she asked. I stared at her incredulously.
"Jack?" she asked.
"Duh."
We determined that our coach is not married but has a girlfriend.
"His eyes are so blue!" Latika said dreamily.
Latika did not place. KZ got 7th place out of 14, I got 3rd, and Jack got 1st, which means I lost the round against him. I got a little plaque that says: 3rd place CU. Maybe Jack should get one with the inscription "looks amazing in a suit."



5 comments:
scrolling down down down
WHAT!!!!!
You won NaNoWriMo. WOW!!! congrats!!
LOL
Debating is really your thing. Congratulations on placing third! Even if it meant loosing one round to the one who "Looks Amazing In A Suit" - there's always next time ;D
Imogen: thanks!!
Ann Michelle: Thanks again! Hopefully I'll beat him in the next tournament. :)
If anything, you'll have much more in your arsenal than before. Much luck in advance all the same!
Latika made me lol! Jack sounds sooo stuck up and evil! Well done for coming third! I know you'll beat him next time!
Post a Comment