CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Graveyard

Here in Broadview (the place where my grandparents live) it is hot, humid, and bright. Blah. All the family has gathered to celebrate two birthdays, both of which were on April 25th. 

I escaped for a few moments to go down to the pond with Spring, and I decided to check out the crayfish (crawfish?) for a bit. There are two ponds: one is home to lilypads and frogs and stuff, the other is literally  scum, crayfish and bugs. I used a stick to move some of the scum out of the way so I could look for the crayfish, but unfortunately it was so murky that I couldn't see all the way to the bottom. 
There there was our party. We got some food delivered to us and a couple guests arrived and we basically stuffed ourselves and sat around. Joel's gf came with him and she was really nice. We played spoons with her, and talked a bit and stuff. She seems so quiet! I really never would have imagined Joel dating a quiet girl. But he's so completely into her that when I see them together it's like, "well DUH."
After we sang Happy Birthday I went back to the pond for some reading time. Absentmindedly I poked the scum and picked leaves out of the water as I read (A Terry Pratchett book, btw). And then, for some reason, I looked down. The grass was littered with tiny crayfish bones. 

1 comments:

Vizarya said...

How do you play "spoons"?

And wow, what a wonderful mystery opener for the final line!

Sounds like you at least got a touch of the scenery - I'm glad you got to go out for a while, even IF it was for familial celebrations :)