Today was the Day of Silence, which is a protest against the unfair treatment of gays and lesbians. I am a firm believer in gay rights, so as soon as I found out it was this day I participated in the challenge of staying silent all through the school day. I figure being silent at home does no good, because my parents would get really mad if I didn't talk to them, and because they also support gay rights (I think). However, if I go somewhere else today, I will remain silent in order to promote the cause.
You ask, how can silence promote a cause? Well, it gets people's attention. If you don't believe me, try it. People ask you why you're not talking, teachers get mad, and you go up the the chalkboard and tell them why.
Gay rights. Why should people get discriminated against just because of their partner preference?
Here homosexuals are not allowed to get married. Why? If they are allowed to be bonded together for life in a partnership, why not call it a marriage? Why bar these people rights that the rest of the population gets simply because they come together with someone of the opposite gender?
People go on and on about "God's law" and "WWJD" and stuff, but I think they're full of hot air. (uh, that phrase sounds weird. It replaces a better one...) What would Jesus do? Somehow I don't think he would go around telling people to spend their time protesting gay rights. Doesn't Jesus love everyone? Including those people? Doesn't he want us to spread love rather than fight it? If we take away rights from these people, aren't we going against his philosophy for acceptance and love? It has been said that the reason Jesus was did not endorse homosexuality was because at the time he was alive there were pagan gay rituals that went against the Christian idea of one god and all. Now, those rituals are gone and so are the reasons not to tolerate these differences.
I have also heard the argument that same-sex couples do not produce children and therefore are not good for the country's economy, therefore same-sex marriages should be outlawed. In response to this, I say that there are many boy-girl couples that do not have children either. Should their marriages be terminated because they aren't helping the country? Plus, with all the technology these days, lesbian couples can have in-vitro fertilization and have a child. Gay couples can adopt and raise a child if they wish. God knows there are many children in orphanages who need homes...
Well, sorry for the long (and very unfocused) rant. I could talk for ages about this. But now it's time to zip it.



3 comments:
I think it's disgusting how some people find it unacceptable that same gender couples are seeking the same rights as multi-gendered couples.
In California there were actually anti-gay riots perpetuated by the religious factions within the state.
California...the most progressive state in the union will now be one of the last to allow gay marriages.
Why can't people learn to mind their business? What does it matter? Ugh...
I am all about live, and let others live.
My dad, and I had a deep discussion about gay marriage, when they were about to legalize it, here in Canada. My dad's theory was that if they are living together as a common law couple, then the rest is just semantics. So, I really don't see why gay marriage shouldn't be legalized.
Also, there is so much speculation regarding homosexuality, that it is one of those things that should be left alone. And, as far as the procreative aspect is concerned, gay adoptions have an altrusitc benefit.
Excellent post :).
You take objective views to things. It's so very different from my smoke-and-mirrors concept style.
But it's always nice to have a little straight-forwardness XD
I totally agree with you here. All this and more...
And, slightly random, but the word verification for this = "cries".
<_<
Post a Comment