CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 7, 2011

Yom Kippur

I've often said that Yom Kippur is my least favorite Jewish holiday, because we have to fast for 24 hours. However, I think I may have changed my mind this year.

The first reason for doing so it because of the Kol Nidrei service, which was hauntingly enchanting. We had a viola-violin duet arrangement that nearly brought me to tears. The Amidah (a standing prayer) was reflective and in English, so I meant what I said all the more. And I got to pray for atonement of the wrongs I have committed this past year.
The other reason I like this holiday is because in preparation I get to ask everyone for forgiveness. I think of people I may have hurt and talk to them about what i think i did, which gets a burden off my chest and usually results in reconciliation. In fact, for me every time it has resulted in reconciliation, and sometimes the other person even apologizes to me for doing something in return. I like this, obviously. It brightens my day. It's also sort of an argument for radical honesty, because you have to say what's on your mind even if you think it's better not to bring it up. I'm usually anxious when apologizing, hoping not to reopen closed wounds. But instead the scars disappear entirely, because the other person had the same opinion, just not a catalyst to make them say it.
How often do you ask for forgiveness?

3 comments:

JJ said...

If you really want an answer, I disagree with the concept of forgiveness as it's usually defined. I understand and accept the notion of putting aside differences and effecting reconciliation. That's good. 'Forgiveness,' however, implies the right to judge, and I prefer to aim for the Buddhist concept of non-judgemental observation of all things. I often don't manage it, but it's still my goal.

This is one of several reasons why I will no longer have anything to do with any of the Judaic religions. There's far too much judgement in all of them, and that, to me, is one of the reasons why I find them spiritually immature.

You did ask.

Ben Ditty said...

I say "I'm sorry" a lot but don't usually ask for forgiveness. I usually just hope it will happen with time.

Maria Sondule said...

Jeff: That's completely fine. I respect whatever choices people make about their religion, as long as they don't try to change me or act intolerant. (like, anti-semitic, you know.)
Ben: I think a lot of people do that. It makes me feel weird when I ask for forgiveness, but I think it's better than just letting the tension smooth out over a long period of time.