CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Dating Game

I definitely did not come into college with the intention of finding a boyfriend. At least not until sophomore year. However, the recent sequence of events I find so ironic that I'm going to post about them.

First, one of my guy friends who I enjoy spending time with asked me out on a date. Now, it was four in the morning, so I looked horrendous and didn't quite understand what was going on. I feel like I stood there looking shocked for a moment before saying "Yeah." Then I left and scrambled into my bed.
It wasn't like I didn't want to go on the date, but I did worry about it for a fair amount of time, mostly because I didn't see my guy friend until a few days later. So the date was fun; very low-key. We went to lunch and walked through a cemetery. The guy asked me if I wanted to try dating, to which I said "sure I'll go on some more dates with you, but I don't want to be in a relationship yet."
And I thought that would be the end of the silliness.
However, then my other guy friend who I have liked for a while asked me out on a date. Thinking I could tell the first guy that we were over I agreed, because I wanted to give numero dos a chance. He asked me out to a concert adjoining swing practice, to which guy one is coming. Guy two said that he would come to swing as well so that we could leave early and together.
Naturally, I freaked out for a second when I heard this, but I asked my friends for advice and they said I was completely within my rights and that if I could keep them from talking to each other about me I would be ok, as long as I talked to guy one as soon as possible.
So today I woke up feeling alright and ready to take on this challenge, and of course, the guy that sits next to me in Econ decides to ask me to come with him to a concert. Thankfully, I had to say no, because the date with guy two coincides with the concert.
Right now, I feel pretty self-confident, although I do feel bad about possibly hurting guy one's feelings when I tell him I just want to be friends. Anyway, the goal is to get through this evening without exploding.
I think what is going on is completely ridiculous and I should probably be nothing short of ashamed. Instead, I feel a constant urge to burst out laughing, and am reminded of Spanish soap operas.

2 comments:

JJ said...

I've had lots of thoughts about this, but they keep going into areas I don't want to go into.

I think that bursting out laughing and being reminded of Spanish soap operas is as good a response as any. Possibly the best.

I still have to make the following suggestions, though:

a) Bear in mind that men your age are generally less mature and more emotionally sensitive than women your age.

b) Bear in mind that some men feel they have a right to take what they want. Forget the mace and the martial arts training. They only work for a small minority of women with the right mindset.

c) Avoid having a drink unchaperoned with any man you haven't yet learned to trust.

Of course, the situation might be more civilised over there than it is here.

Maria Sondule said...

Thanks for the suggestions.
As for b, both guys are rather slow-paced, which is one of the reasons I like them. They're both kind, respectful, and I don't think they'd do anything to hurt me.
Neither of them drinks, either, but in general c is a rule I follow.