During a conversation with Unicorn, who is guy one, the question came up whether men or women are more cocky. We both agreed that men are, but after I went back to my room, I started to think about it, and my argument crumbled.
From personal experience I think men are more cocky than women. However, there are several confounding factors that impact my philosophy.
1. I notice men being cocky more so than women. Because if women are cocky to me it doesn't matter so much. There's no chance for a relationship with them, and friends can certainly be cocky with each other. With guys there is the potential for interest, so subconsciously I bet I pay more attention to how they act to me.
2. Cocky men are more attractive than cocky women. Don't ask me why; I don't like cocky men. But apparently a certain level of cockiness is attractive, so men have more of an incentive. This half supports my theory, but it means that men are not cocky simply because of something innate about them.
3. Men are more overt about their cockiness. Perhaps this has something to do with it being considered mildly attractive. But I think women are also more covert in general, so if a woman is cocky it is less noticeable.
4. The definition of Cocky describes the type of behavior that men exhibit. At least in my opinion. Women are definitely cocky, just in different ways. And the typical definition of cocky I feel has to do more with exaggerated and overt arrogance. Women are more subtle about it.
So, I don't know. Are men more cocky than women?



2 comments:
It's the very last sentence in (4) I have a problem with. To me, cockiness is essentially unsubtle. If it's subtle, it isn't cocky. I suppose you have the Dorothy Parker model in mind. I can't see that as cocky. And I never, never understood why some women find cockiness attractive. Cockiness is surely the means by which a certain type of inferior male exerts his superiority over women - or tries to. What's attractive about that?
I totally agree JJ!
Post a Comment