The next day our guide graciously drove us to Split, a few hours away. We were staying in Old Split, inside Diocletian's Palace area. Everything was extremely romanesque, as evidenced by the fact that when we arrived we were greeted by the Roman "emperor" himself!
Apparently Diocletian was hated for persecuting all the Christians, and so they threw his real body into the sea. I think this is kind of ironic because nowadays people are trying desperately to retrieve any kind of documentation of what Diocletian did. All that remain are some anecdotes about how he came to power by killing a boar (who turned out to be a politician).
After we took a tour of the city, my aunt and I looked around an old church. There was a statue of an old guy coming out of the ceiling. I assumed it was God, but who can be sure?
Outside, there were street performers everywhere, including an a capella singing group, a guitarist with a singer, and some street performing artists who were... for better words... interesting.
We ducked into a restaurant for dinner and ended up being the only ones there. Will, the one who wanted to go there in the first place, got annoyed at eating by ourselves, but we made him sit there and eat his steak.
To top off the evening, he broke Spring's flip-flop, so she made him buy her a new pair. And a waiter mistook our order of "still water" for "stella artois" (or something like that), a kind of beer.



2 comments:
Diocletian couldn't have been all bad, I suppose, if he killed a boring politician.
You mean you don't get Stella Artois in the States?
Did you ever read my post about the Italian waiter who proclaimed 'sea trout,' only it sounded like 'shit 'ot?'
I've a feeling we're going to lose you when you go to university.
I don't get Stella Artois, because I'm not old enough. I don't really like the taste of alcohol anyway. But I'm sure it's available.
I didn't get to it yet; I'm trying to catch up on posting with all the other stuff I have to do. More travelling starting tomorrow!
And you won't lose me when I leave. I just didn't have a computer during orientation. I will be busy though, so maybe less posting than usual, but I don't think I'll give it up.
Post a Comment