CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 8, 2011

Croatia Part 5


The day after the caves was kayaking day! I was especially excited because I've always wanted to go whitewater rafting, and this is the second-best thing there is. We started with a drive up a really beautiful mountain. At the top Moe shouted in my ear and an echo came back. On the way down we scattered a random herd of goats.
The bottom of the mountain was our first destination, an orthodox monastery. (I told you there were lots of churches.) It was a lot nicer than the other church we'd explored, because at least it had a way for lots of sunlight to creep though in to the church area. A monk dressed in dark blue traditional garb showed us around the small area, explaining the significance of pictures and paintings on the wall. The most impressive thing to me was the huge fresco that covered the entire interior of the church. It had been painted over in World War One or something so that an opposing army didn't destroy it, and now church people were beginning to chip away the paint.

One thing I noticed was that churches receive a lot of money from the government. And an expedition to dig in the caves to find caveman artifacts did not receive any.
I saw a cat wandering around outside. I guess cats tend to do that in Croatia, because we'd seen about 20 wandering cats during our stay. Spring always cooed in remembrance of her own little darlings waiting at home whenever she came across one.
During lunch, we had some sort of bacon substance. And because of this, we were continually attacked by a small black puppy and a really cute kitten, both of whom were trying to get food. Their differing tactics made me laugh.
Cat: I know if I wait long enough they'll go away.
Puppy: Yay! meat! Meat! Yum yum yum! More! Please? You're my favorite guest!
Cat: Maybe if I sit under this table I can spirit some food down with my mind powers. Ooh, meat! Delicious. I knew that would work.
Puppy: OHMYGOD I LOVE YOU! Why are you so awesome?? My tail is wagging so much because you've got a piece of meat in your hand...
Cat: That's it, human. Bend to my will. Your mind is too weak to resist. Mwahahaha.


You get the point.
After lunch we got into wet suits and kayaked down the river. I started in a kayak with Spring and ended with our guide, because apparently neither of us can steer. There were numerous rapids on the river, one so big that we had to climb down it and let the guides send the kayaks over on a rope. We almost lost one then, but Will swam after it and retrieved it. The water, like every other place in Croatia, was cold and clear, so that we could see all the fish swimming along below us. I wonder if they like going over the waterfalls.

2 comments:

JJ said...

You have a cute side, and you seem to be obssessed with water and fish - and cavemen and churches.

The little dog is fabulous.

LadyNansei said...

*gasp* I want to steal that puppy. He's adorable! (or is it a she?).
I love checking out the churches in foreign countries, mainly because they're so old and it's basically one of the only archaeological buildings you can come across.

Thanks for checking out my blog, nice parody of the cat and the dog. I can so imagine that they would be like that.

Cheerio ;)