CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Croatia Part 10


The next day was our "plane day" because we had to take two planes to travel about 50 miles. From the Split airport, we could only fly back to Zagreb for some reason, and then we took another flight down to Dubrovnik. I was expecting the flights to make me sick, but I slept right through them, declining to take any dramamine.

It was actually a good idea, because I took dramamine on the way home, and it made me feel really woozy, sleepy, and just not good. It made me appreciate not having to be on any medication.
In Dubrovnik, we had to climb several steep flights of stairs with our heavy luggage to reach our rooms. After we dropped it off, we explored the city. The wall of Dubrovnik is very beautiful, and easy to walk on. We looked down and every time we saw multitudes of cats curled up on patios below, or something like that.
A man was showcasing parrots down in the square, and we saw another street performer dressed as an egyptian pharaoh. (maybe it's something common in Europe? I'd never seen anything like it.)
The boys went to dinner and me, Spring and our Aunt ventured out to see a quartet in a tiny old church. They were very good, and I was sitting right behind the violinist, so I could read all his music and really notice what techniques he was using. He messed up a few times, but I suppose I can't talk because I do that too in my own quartet when I get distracted by an audience member.
The violinist's name was Slobodan, which I think is a pretty cool name. It rolls off the tongue to neatly! Say it: Slobodan. Although I wouldn't name my kid that because it does sound a bit eerie.

1 comments:

JJ said...

Can't say I've ever seen anybody dressed like a Pharoah in Britain, but we do have several towns with mediaeval walls you can walk along. Chester and York are the best known.

In Europe, Slobodan has unfortunate associations - after Milosevic. And 'slob' is a slang term for an uncouth person.