So the next day was a sightseeing day. We walked up to Upper Zagreb and took an incline to a nice little street. We could see a spectacular view of Zagreb. All the rooftops look sort of a mars red color, and they're shingled.
We stopped at the Museum of Broken Hearts, which featured objects sent in by people. All were accompanied by a story. Some sounded reerent, some sad, some matter-of-fact, and some very bitter. The above picture is one of the objects in the museum, given to a girl by her boyfriend who eventually broke up with her. She said she should have realized his feelings when he gave her a devil that said "I love you." Ironically, we girls loved the museum, and the boys were mad that we'd wasted money there.
Up the street a bit we saw the outside of a beautiful church that seemed to have mosaics of the Croatian flag on its roof. Right across the street was an EU building. Over the course of the trip we heard lots of opinions about Croatia joining the EU. Our guide said he wouldn't which was a surprise to me, since I assumed that it would be good, open up trade and all that. In fact, my version of the EU seemed to be "rosified" by American culture, which is obviously in support of the enterprise.
When we went shopping later we saw a stored called Ingots that had lots of flamboyant "professional" eyelashes for sale. Question: Do people in Europe really wear feathers for their eyelashes? Is this a fashion trend? I did see someone wearing them in Dubrovnik, but only one person.
Our last stop was another church; a very very old one. Spring liked it but I thought it was very eerie and unwelcoming. It seemed like a place where God tells you what you do wrong rather than how to fix the world. The whole aura was dark and somber, like solemn ritual. Pictures and statues of suffering stared down at me, glaring.
One our way out we saw A McDonald's. One in every country...



1 comments:
I just used the word 'enterprise' in an e-mail to somebody, somebody brave who tried to do something adventurous and got suffocated by the insidious tentacles of western 'enterprise culture.' I hate that kind of enterprise with a passion, so I can see where the Croation guide was coming from.
I have never seen anybody wear feathers for eyelashes. How very odd. Sounds like the sort of thing they might do in New Orleans.
Liked what you wrote about the dismal church.
Do I really have to read the Jewish sermon? OK.
Post a Comment