Yesterday at our school there was a huge forensics tournament. Schools from all over the country came to compete. So did some local politicians!
Our state senator arrived first, and of course me and my little group of friends crowded around him to try and get a picture and ask him about some stuff. The senator looked extremely downtrodden and sallow, almost greenish. He didn't smile and his voice was very monotonous, like he was bored. We asked him what he thought about our resolution (the one discussed in the previous post), and he dodged the question, saying "I'll let you figure it out, since you need to debate it."
The second politician, our rep, arrived next, and although he was considerably more bald, he was much more friendly, smiley, and he gave a definite answer. ("Not before the age of 12")
He was very into the whole taking picture thing. I liked him a lot better, but that doesn't mean I would vote for him.
Maybe our senator's slowly being poisoned to death and that's why he looked so sickly. Or maybe he's worried that he might soon be out of a job.
In the tournament, I won three out of four rounds, but didn't win a trophy.



4 comments:
'...although he was considerably more bald, he was much more friendly...'
Are these two usually mutually exclusive, then? Going to vote for the guy with the best hair, are you?
My vote would always go where I see the most humanity. Not economic policies, not education policies, not security policies. Humanity. Try finding a politician who ever uses that word. The last senior politician in Britain who was occasionally given to using that word got sacked for believing in humanitarian values. Frankly, I would never allow a politician into a school. Too much pollution.
Your guy was probably green because green is one of the colours that come out of festering sores.
I suppose you think I'm exaggerating. Maybe I am, but I've had a lot years to observe politicians.
I'm shutting up now because I dislike being serious these days, especially at this time of night.
No, of course they're not exclusive. I was joking.
And I didn't meet either of them long enough for them to use that word, so it wouldn't affect who I vote for. I'm not sure I would vote for either one.
And I was just having a mad moment, Maria - one of those moments when levity and gravity have fun fights with each other.
I still think there's a problem with politics, though. It seems to be 90% dishonest and 10% genuine, and the problem comes with recognising the 10%. Voting implies putting your trust in somebody. From what I've seen, very few politicians are worthy of even a modicum of trust (and I still believe it likely that Barack was set up to be the fall guy.)
You'll go your own way, of course, as is right and proper. Only try not to take me TOO seriously. I'm not weird or creepy, just a little harmlessly mad sometimes.
Ah, politics. Messy business, really. There's the constant power struggle and ever-changing circle of allies and enemies... I just don't see how some people can stand it. :P
Post a Comment