Erik Eriksson said that teens are supposed to be searching for themselves, trying to find their identities. I'll agree that the last three years I've learned a lot about myself, but so far this year (since my b-day last April) I've felt pretty solid in who I am. I don't feel the need to have a boyfriend, I accept my limits and play to my strengths, and I don't do things unless I knew they fall in my value set.
Where did this self confidence come from? And why do so few people my age have it? All my close friends except one fall in the category of learning about themselves. The one friend is Spring, but I don't see her every day, so I can't be too sure.
Maybe my close friends can see my struggles better than I can.
I just hope I don't change for the worse once I move out. Possibilities seems endless.



4 comments:
I know what you mean, in terms of finding yourself. I feel like I now know who I am - I know my limits, my strengths etc. I actually studied Erikson, along with other psycholigists/behaviourists such as Piaget, Vygotsky, Skinner etc during my last two years of secondary schooling, and honestly, they have some very interesting theories. I'd have to agree with Piaget on most things, though I think of their theories in terms of guidelines.. I think circumstances/time/place and the individual person can alter the theories in slight ways. xx
Sorry, Maria, I'm going to have to be boringly serious here. (I hate being serious these days.)
I don't think any of us truly know who we are. It's a huge question. You will have gathered that I'm a bit beyond being a teenager, and I still don't know who I am. The features that make up what we see as 'identity' are constantly changing.
I think there's an important fact being missed when people refer to teenagers as 'searching for their identity.' It implies that 'adults' (whatever that means) have found it, and I don't believe that's true. Adults have simply become complacent, and complicit in cultural mores. Adults with open minds never really stop searching for who they are.
The one conclusion I've reached so far is that the harder you search, the more you realise that there's actually nothing to find except a bag of features that are ultimately meaningless. And, believe me, that isn't being cynical.
I think youve stayed the same for the past 6 months. Contentness is a thing I wish I had. you dont seem to have any struggles, noticable or on the inside (I hope i make sense XD)
i kinda agree with JJ. I think adults just get tired of change so they conform and stay away from change. They stick to a routine.
I never had a problem finding myself. I'm right Here - have always been here. If I am There tomorrow, I know that I have been Here and decided to see what came from taking a sip of T. Here to There really is the difference of a single letter.... Hahaha.
Post a Comment