CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fat TV

Lately there seem to be a lot of shows about fat people that want to lose weight. Too Fat for 15, The Biggest Loser, and Heavy are some that I can recall off the top of my head. I think it's ludicrous how television is now making fun of these people who want to improve their lives. They're aired as offerings, like pigs for slaughter, for audiences to laugh at them and scorn them. This is what people do for fun.

People are made to waddle around school yards, jump through tires, chase chickens, and while they are being humiliated they (and the TV companies) claim that it's fine because they're becoming healthier.
Often those who seem to have success on the shows end up gaining all the weight back anyway. That's why when I have kids I'm going to ensure that they adopt healthy life habits. A good head start takes you a long way.

3 comments:

JJ said...

I will say that much for Brit TV, as much as I criticise it in other ways. We occasionally get documentaries on excessively fat people (there was one on last night about a man who weighs 980lbs) and the general trend towards obesity, but they're handled in a sympathetic and serious way. That's terrestrial TV, though. I've no idea what the satellite and cable channels do. I've always refused to have anything to do with them.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 130 pound guy and I doubt I'll ever gain weight without lifting weights. albeit, my father and some of my cousins were my size at age 20 and now their big but not overweight. So i won't take my size for granted but for me to become overweight I think i'll have to be in a serious depression, God forbid.

Vizarya said...

I gave up on most reality TV shows because of this. I suppose the idea is to motivate overweight people to be more proactive about their health and lifestyles.

Some people can't help it though, the way they are is coded in their genes. They may want to be physically different, and they may try just about anything in desperation... *shakes head*

People should be content with who and how they are.