Beneath the shade of a
fiery tree
the sun glints off the wters
of a lake overgrown
with salty weeds.
Once golden and green
warmly bubbling
with carpets of fish
now it gurgles
not yet old
but never undone.
Red ants scurry between cracks in our picnic table, as if searching for treasure or trying to find their way to their date's house at the last minute. Not only are they quick, they disappear periodically into the shade of a groove, only to run back out into the frying sun. Not pointless- until you notice that their little legs only circle about an inch of table. Are they looking for food? Shelter? Their fellow insects? It's interesting that they're in such a hurry, and yet they take their time to double- no, triple inspect every inch of path.



5 comments:
There is a contest on this blog which you may find interesting.
http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2009/07/in-vino-veritas-truth-in-wine-short.html
I wrote one thing for it because I was bored: http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2009/07/entry-72.html
Thanks, Ropi!
"the sun glints off the wters"
*"waters"
I like both of these pieces. I think I missed your writing while I was away ^_^;
I never thought about how red ants scurry to and fro... but your description is right, they do tend to go back where they have gone before, as if looking to see if anything had changed. Hm...
Aw thanks, it was so weird not reading new posts from you every day too.
I hope you had lots of fun!
Post a Comment