Mock Trial- A court case designed and performed by students that simulates real court. There are people playing witnesses, lawyers, and possibly jury members.
Cross- A witness is questioned by the opposing team
Direct- A witness is questioned by their own team
Plaintiff- Person accusing someone
Defense- Person being accused
I have been preparing and waiting for this day for many months. Here she comes, Freddi (Fredrica) Flint, played by Maria Sondule! Our Mock Trial case this year involved someone being accused of voluntary manslaughter. I was a witness for the defense, so it was my job to prove this person innocent.
I was a little nervous because the plaintiff in this case had many opportunities to poke holes in the defense and crush them. For instance, my character basically says that the person killed had not been a threat, which means that the defendant is indeed guilty. I could and would not lie on the stand, so there was no way to get around it if the lawyers asked the right questions.
We went into our courtroom at 9:10. I met the opposing team, which consisted of 4 lawyers and 3 witnesses. There was Cameron, the opening attorney, Nigel, the closing attorney, Eric, the cross attorney, and Matt, the direct attorney. I was extremely surprised because I actually knew Matt, and was friends with him. Isn't it always weird that people appear when you least expect them to?
The openings were very good. Personally I thought Cameron's was more eloquent than ours, and he talked more slowly. The first plaintiff witness was horrible. I'm sorry, but he needed to think about which side of the case he was on or something. Our cross attorney got up and completely crushed him, getting him to admit to several key points that would help us win the case. The same happened for the second witness.
Matt was not a particularly good direct examiner, unfortunately. He seemed unsure of himself and was not very well prepared for being objected to by our team of lawyers.
I was the first witness for the defense. My hands were sweating as I took the stand, and I saw Eric, a really tall person, get up to cross me. I was intimidated- until he started to speak. The poor guy had a thick New York accent and he stuttered through a lot of words. His questions weren't bad, but I didn't make any big confessions.
We ended up winning the trial and Kris (who was on my team and who is a girl I was in Anne of Green Gables with) and I decided to stay with the other team, because we both knew Matt. Eric joined our group and we went out to Starbucks on the opposite side of the street. Eric didn't stutter as much, and Matt let me listen to some songs on his ipod. We hung out in their holding room and had a great time. I got to know Eric and Nigel a little, and Kris was very loud, as usual. Truthfully, she can be a little annoying, but she's also very fun and interesting.
Eventually the other team left and I got to hug some people. "See you soon!" Matt said, though I don't know why, because I don't think I'll see him anytime soon.
We watched the end of Ford (Kris's friend whom I hope I will get to be good friends with) and Melinda's trial. They were up against a very tough team. I asked Brianna whether his team had won, and he didn't answer. Seriously, how immature is that? I haven't talked to him much lately, though I've tried to be nice whenever fate puts us together. Kris, upon extracting the fact that I'd dated him out of me, asked him whether I'd kissed him or not. (and he was right there) I didn't answer. She then went on to talk about the number 69 and less than three (<3)>Ford was there to make it less embarrassing.
The title has more meaning than you think it does.




8 comments:
Ah, it reminds me of high school law. I feel old now, Thanks Maria :).
Lol... Thanks for your comment about the quotes. I thought they were all quite cute/funny.
I don't really understand the point in the trial thing you were talking about... but it sounds like fun!
Why are you scared of tall people? I stutter sometimes too.
I'm not. He just looked intimidating. Being tall usually helps with that.
A "New Yawk" accent? Interesting...
Good job! I'm disappointed that my team was the only one from our school that lost, but 'tis all right.
No WAY!! You do Mock Trial!?!
That's amazing! I've always wanted to go see (since I'm convinced I'm a terrible debater/witness/lawyer/etc)! How exciting :D
I'm glad you had a good time ^_^
Oh, and... "Less Than Three" - sounds like the number two... otherwise known as a couple =P Am I close?
Well, I have never known that. I thought people think I am normal.
Ann Michelle: <3
Ropi:Maybe people are taller in your country? I'm short, so that also might be part of it.
Post a Comment