CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bye-Bye Miss American Pie

Beau has disappeared off the face of the earth. I have no idea why he would ignore me like this, and he's definitely not the type to do that, so I think something must be wrong with his phone. Then again, he may just be trying to be nice. Huh. 

Recently, Ropi posted some stuff about the inauguration. I, being an American, felt the need to defend my country, along with a couple other people who read his blog. He has taken himself off my follower list because of this. Truthfully, I'm a little mad, because we were just expressing our opinion. I'll admit that we may have been harsh, but when you have a blog, and you post something, people comment to tell you what THEY think of what you have to say. Unless they personally insult you people shouldn't be penalized for that.
Anyway, yes, the US screws up a lot, and there are many things I don't like about it, but we do get some things right. The inauguration, I think, represented a better part of the American people and was sort of the opening of a new hope. It was very long, and showy, but hey, it was also a very historic moment. Our first black prez along with the back of Bush? Get out the confetti!!! 
Along with that I think that when someone from outside your country criticizes it, it packs more of a punch and you get more insulted. If Ropi lived here, his words may have carried less of a "oh I hate America" stance. (and no, I'm not saying he hates America.) For example, if I said "England Sucks," I'm sure Emma would be a little put out. Or if I stated on Zany's blog, "What's the big deal with Canada's inauguration anyway? Canada is arrogant and ignorant and it screws everyone over" she would defend her country. But if I said "America stinks" I doubt Melinda or Spring would mind much. 
That being said, it was interesting to read a different viewpoint on the matter, even if I don't agree with it. 
*So bye-bye miss American Pie... Singin', "this'll be the day that I die."*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria Sondule said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zany said...

I think, you should write an email to Beau, and see what's up with him. But, again guys do stupid things...
In America's defence, I think the world needs America. The humanitarian problems in Darfur, Congo, Pakistan, etc. cannot be solved without America's involvement. No other country spends more funds for humanitarian purposes than America.
As far as Canada is concerned your comment about Canada made me laugh. Man, I don't even know what our inauguration looks like. Sad I know, but we don't really care about our own politics. We are just there for comic relief :D (jokes).

Maria Sondule said...

Lol. I really don't have any problems with Canada, just in case that could be misconstrued. It's cold up there, though...
I did e-mail Beau- no response yet.
Ropi: I think we could've made it less showy and stuff, which might have cut spending. It's still a big deal though. At least they didn't do the entire thing over again when the oath was messed up.

Emma C. said...

Oh dear... well i'm not actually sure what happened with this certain person, but I see where you are coming from.

Haha, nice mention of me though =)
It's true... I think if I was personally saying, argh, England sucks, and you agreed, then I would not mind, but if you randomly insulted it, then I think I would, if that makes sense.

And don't worry about Beau. I'm not sure what happened exactly with him either, but I'm sure you'll sort it out. This kinda happened with 2 guy friends of mine, and I later found out that one had a broken phone, and the others mother had taken his away! I'm sure there is an explanation! =)

changetheworld360 said...

Oh America! That's another thing I hope Obama can achieve: fix our relations with other countries b/c Bush completely ruined our reputation as a global leader and instead, he turned us into a nation of apathy and defense.

Anonymous said...

this concerns me because i don't want to be seen as a warmonger or something just because i'm american.

i have never heard anyone ever scorning hungary. in that situation, i think the scorn would be with the soviet union and communism, not hungary. and i think the truman doctrine was towards greece and turkey only. that might have been mistaken with the monroe doctrine, but then the monroe doctrine only applied to latin america.

to confront our elected leaders is something that i think we're obligated to do. if they're doing a bad job, then okay, it is our fault because maybe they shouldn't have been there in the first place. so we should be the ones to take them out of office, and that is why people complain.

i see the mistakes this country has made, but can we even be surprised if it's true that our elected leaders have to think about an economic crises, the lives of 300 million people and international affairs?

i don't have anything wrong with others' opinions, but i just wanted to make some things clearer.

maria, hope things with beau are okay :]

Anonymous said...

p.s. i was not aiming to offend anyone, but if i did, i truly apologize.

Vizarya said...

LOL - I took one look at the title of this post and broke out in song... ahh, the memories. Good times, good times. ^_^

Poor Beau for disappearing off the face of the earth... I don't think he really knows what he's missing. =(

And - ahem - so this is what you meant about Ropi's post. Interesting. At least the two of you somewhat agree on the same idea of things.

*keeps singing the song*

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't talk about it because I see I am just cutting the wood under myself as the Hungarians say. At least I got a taste of US free speech.

Maria Sondule said...

Ann Michelle: Lol, I don't even know all the words to the song. I had to look up the lyrics and then I decided I didn't like them.
Ropi: Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean free speech is bad. I'm sure there are many people in America who feel as you do about the inauguration and Hungary.