CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wicked


When you think of "wicked", words come to your mind. Evil, treacherous, witch. However, the main character, Elphaba, in the musical
Wicked, is far from any of these things. And I would know, I went to see a performance of it last night.

The curtain opens to the first notes of "No One Mourns the Wicked" with about 10 or 12 Ozians dancing about in delight. Glinda appears in her bubble (which they did very well, by the way) and starts joining them in a soprano voice. I really admire her ability to hit those high notes.
The play goes on to introduce us to Elphaba, who eventually becomes the Wicked Witch of the West. Cameron Cusak mastered all of Elphaba's little quirks perfectly. 
Probably my favorite part of the play was "Popular." Not only is the song fun to listen to, Galinda (her name changes as the play goes on) made it very humorous with all her wild excitement.
Fiyero was another good character. I like him a lot more now, because there's a lot of character development that you don't know about just from listening to the music. Same with Nessa. 
It was very funny when Glinda threw a party ("Thank Goodness") and announced it was an engagement party. Because Fiyero hadn't agreed to marry her!
"Surprised?" she asked.
"YES."

The ending was not at all what I expected. Elphaba, who I thought had died, was actually alive! And she and Fiyero (who was turned into the scarecrow) ran away in loving bliss. Meanwhile, the Wizard, who thought she had died, discovered that she was his daughter. Unexpected. (sorry if that spoiled it for you. It doesn't ruin the experience of the play)
The whole thing was done wonderfully. The acting was phenomenal, sets were the most elaborate I've ever seen, and the costumes were so... Oz-ish. I would recommend seeing this.

8 comments:

changetheworld360 said...

Yay. Thank you for keeping me informed! I wish I had time to see it though. :(

changetheworld360 said...

Your blog is really devoid of comments...

Maria Sondule said...

That's because I had to make it private and Ann Michelle is somewhere else and Spring doesn't get on the computer that often.

Maria Sondule said...

And Timothy and my mom and Delia wouldn't leave comments to save their lives.

Anonymous said...

I dislike when a book has misleading title.

Vizarya said...

Whoa. Omg - now I really want to see the musical and read the book! D: *makes mental note to borrow whenever time allows*

Where did you watch the play?

Maria Sondule said...

I saw it at the Benedum theater, I think. Wherever. Not Broadway, though.
I think the book's a little different than the musical...

Vizarya said...

Oh, ok. I think I want to read the book to get the idea, though XD Everyone has been saying it's a pretty good musical.