
There are three books I revere above all others: Harry Potter, 1984, and now Slaughterhouse Five. It only made the list recently, when I had to read the novel for AP English class. At frist I was a bit hesitant to crack open the pages, but after a few chapters you couldn't have pried the book from my cold dead fingers. So it goes.
I wish I could tell about this book, but unfortunately, there is nothing in it. It has no real setting, because the scene shifts in and out of time. It has no plot- or at least no linear plot. It eve has no characters, or "very few" as stated by the author. I guess you could even say that this masterpiece has no death, even though practically all the characters are killed by the end. So it goes.
Despite this unorthodox style, the book truly is a joy to read. It is written simply, with a few vulgarities thrown n now and then to exemplify the ruthlessness of war, and I think it makes its point quite clearly.
Just go to the library and look under Kurt Vonnegut. And don't blame me if you can't concentrate on your homework because you were too busy reading.



5 comments:
wow, now i really want to read this book! thanks for the lovely suggestion :)
Great poster. I'm belatedly catching up on a hell of a lot of reading. It started last summer with Joseph Conrad, and has continued at pace ever since. Just finished Peter and Wendy, which is very different from most people's idea of Peter Pan. It's a remarkably adult book. Currently I'm on The Prophet and Stolen Child. Next up is Ishmael, then I'll keep Kurt Vonnegut in mind. Never read any.
I would have been most flattered if any attractive young woman had called me 'The Specimen.' So, you don't want a lackey, just to be in charge. Sounds about right. 'Twas ever thus.
You know, Maria, as much as I read (and I read ALL the time, partly because I'm an editor and partly because I'd rather be hungry than without books) I've never read Slaughterhouse Five! I'm going to Barnes & Noble Thursday morning, and intend to pick up a copy! Thanks for the good review!
Ypu blog keeps poping up with my followers so thought id check it out. HAve to say that no matter what Harry Potter is a classic ^^
Jen...x
how i use my fork?? well it sort of sticks out my hand and is almost completely upside down =)
Post a Comment