CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 16, 2010

LOL


Chances are when you text that phrase you're not actually laughing out loud. You just find the joke moderately funny, worth a quick smile or admiration that disappears as you continue the conversation. But did you ever think about the concept? Laughing out loud... what makes you laugh? Runs? Nah. Most of what we find funny actually isn't funny at all out of context. For instance, my friend told me the other day, "Well, I think I'm leaving now..." in response to a wide-eyed stare I was giving him. I started laughing, but that sentence isn't actually funny! Maybe humans are wired to laugh so much because it makes us happier. There's probably some dopamine chemical that's activated when your face muscles go into "haha mode," but all I know is that when I laugh, my day brightens a little. According to Scientific American Mind, it also makes me more attractive. And not only because smiles are pretty. Apparently guys are engineered to make the jokes, and women who laugh at their jokes become more attractive. Switch the sexes, though, and it becomes false.

Also, people who are speaking are twice as likely to laugh as people who are listening. I guess that's why talkative people are happier...
How many times did you laugh today?
If you were counting, would it be less?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I scarcely laugh and I never used LOL.

lucy said...

Wow, what a great post! I use Lol a lot, but only on the internet or when im texting. I don't say it in real life.

I think I laugh quite a lot, especially when I'm with friends/family, or when I'm watching/reading something funny. I don't count though, because I don't think I'd be paying attention to what's funny, and I wouldn't laugh half as much as I normally do.

László Német said...

Hi there! I like this your post. It sounds interesting. Psychology is a good thing. But it is difficult to enroll in Psychology. Because it requires a lot of points at the entrance exam and also excellent IQ.
I laugh a moderate. It is good to be moderate in all things.
Please, visit my blog. I'm interested in what you think.

Vizarya said...

Wow, now I wish I had counted the number of times I laughed.

I agree - lots of people use "LOL" for that brief moment of appreciation. It's kind of similar to how people type ":P" even though they probably wouldn't be caught blowing raspberries in real life.

Smiling does make people seem more attractive. It makes us look younger when it's real.

Laughing probably releases happy hormones in your body which is helped if your outlook and perspective embraces that cheerful feeling.

The "people who are speaking are twice as likely to laugh as people who are listening" fact is pretty interesting. I always laugh more when I talk. I suppose I feel more engaged when that happens. Even though I'm terrible at jokes, I have less of a problem using whatever humor I have to make others around me get in on the fun as well.

Maria Sondule said...

Ann Michelle: I shall get to your blog later, I promise!!!! D:
I don't know why we laugh more when we talk. Maybe it's cos we're thinking the joke or funny phrase or whatever as we say it, or we want the other person to laugh so we laugh?

Vizarya said...

XD No worries if you don't get through everything soon - remember that before you go comment-happy-go-lucky and tire yourself out!

I'd be more likely to laugh and make the joke die in the telling process ^_^; Laughing is contagious, too - so you have a point there.

Ah, the possibilities~