A situation where punctuation is important:
A: Did you cheat on me?
B: As if I could ever love you.
versus...
A: Did you cheat on me?
B: As if I could ever! Love you!!
A situation where punctuation is important:
Posted by Maria Sondule at 4:42 PM
12 comments:
Well, in my case you would be in trouble because my speech is very monotone. :D
Haha! You're Tagged! http://writeaboutwhat.blogspot.com/2010/04/tagged-aha-oh-yeah.html
Great example! Puncuation is important!
:)
Yup, its really so important where these commas are.
Ropi: I'm sure I could use my psychic mind powers to find out what you REALLY meant ;)
Singapore: Hi, thanks for visiting! I couldn't leave a comment on your blog cos the thing wouldn't come up (yeah, you can see how articulate I am today...) but if you happen to read this I think your site is really cool and you have a beautiful writing voice. I like the message of your Nirvana post. :)
Oh, punctuation is a MUST in such a situation!
Hopefully the latter was the real thing. I think I'd smack the other person if it was the former.
And wow, you have a lot of followers <_<
Neither of those actually happened, thankfully. Or will happen in the near future. I just thought of it for some reason and it struck me as an interesting situation. I can't imagine someone would actually say the first one to my (or anyone's) face. That would deserve more than a slap...
I don't have that many followers, I think there are two less than it says, and most of them don't actually read...
*nods* I see.
I suppose things also depend on how one uses grammar and punctuation in chat settings. For instance, I talk like this whether I'm online or not. I don't use any "txtspeak" shortcuts unless they're "idk" or "h/o". The habit subconsciously lets others decide how to respond, and in time they usually start chatting on the same level of grammatical propriety. Nothing too fancy, but at least I don't have to worry too much about misreading what they're trying to say.
I rub off on a lot of people it seems. Hopefully there's enough of me to keep intact after all that rubbing off-ness XD
Me too! I never talk in textspeak because it actually takes more time for me to remember how to say certain things unless it's lol or brb. Lame, but whatever. I think people try to use text speak in order to sound cool, but when you talk in normal speech then they realize that it's just stupid. :/
Ah, but when we do use it in real life, we all realize its ridiculousness - most of the time it's funny because of that factor.
Spelling is important, too. Witness 'She sits among the cabbages and peas.'
Post a Comment