CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thank You for Arguing

Yesterday I went to the first debate tournament of the year. I got all dressed up in my suit, and my dad drove me and three other people to the location. When we got there, we discovered that our school made up about 90% of the pool of debaters. So instead of facing a new opponent and gaining a new perspective the resolution, we basically had practice rounds. I faced two novices, and one veteran. I too am a novice, but since my coach helped me revise my cases before the tournament, I had better arguments, and apparently I'm a good speaker. So I ended up getting a ribbon for being in the top ten. Yay!

I only really got to talk to one person I'd never met before, when I fake-debated him in a last round that didn't count for points. He was really nice (and cute) but when he said "Oh, this is only my third tournament, I'm not really that good..." LIES! He creamed me. I hope I see him at the next tournament I go to so that I can redeem myself.
Out of curiosity, who agrees with this: public health concerns justify compulsory immunization
That is what we were debating. I debated for the affirmative side (yes) three times out of four, arguing that saving lives is more important than any autonomy the individual claims.
When I debated negative (no), I was arguing that autonomy is more just because to save lives you must violate human rights.
I'm more on the negative side of the argument, but affirmative is easier to argue because its arguments are obvious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Hungary we have a card which enables you to have basic medical stuff for free.

Anonymous said...

Here we get medical stuff for free (unless you wanna go private) 'cause our taxes are really high

Vizarya said...

All those immunizations due to public health concerns... *shakes head* People just need to take care of themselves. The means to avoid such illnesses and pandemics are usually along the same lines as getting enough sleep, thoroughly washing hands, drinking enough water - the like. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.