In Japan, the government put into effect a law stating that every citizen over forty must have a waistline of 35.4 inches (for women, something less for men), the reason being to reduce public health concerns such as obesity and metabosyndrome. Every year, people must weigh in and get a waist-line check; if they are fatter than they should be, someone will get... PUNISHED.
When I first read this in the newspaper, I laughed at the thought of a law telling people they can't be fat. However, this law is much more sinister than it seems. Is t right to punish people for a lifestyle choice? The UN came up with a declaration of human rights: liberties that ALL humans can claim. One of those rights was sanctity of oneself. If being fat does not infringe upon other's rights, why then is the right to choose to be fat being taken away? And what will happen next? Will people be banned from sports in order to reduce injuries?
I wonder how this situation would unfold were it happening in America, which is 35% obese compared with Japan's 5% (I think that is correct, but I don't feel like looking it up right now.) Would there be Fat Marches, protesting in the streets near the White House? Would it even help, or are people here too piggish to diet even if it's the law? Really, if anyone needs an anti-fat law, it's us, definitely not Japan.
I measure my waist and it is 29.5 inches. I am not 40, so the law would not yet apply to me, but if it did I would be literally within inches of breaking the law.
The ultimate question: Would the Fat Police come after you?



3 comments:
Well, I hate this stupid liberty stuff. Blah blah blah. I think it is a good idea to control with iron fist as long as not Obama-like guys are doing this. However I wouldn't make this punishment too strict, only financial (like $250).
Hi Maria, sorry I haven't been commenting! I didn't know about that "fat" law in Japan, but it sounds ridiculous. How would they enforce it? The notion of "fat police" is funny, but scary at the same time. Still, obesity is a health hazard. They should do something not as extreme if they want to deal with that problem.
A Friendly Comment for Ropi: I have to disagree with your dismissal of "this stupid liberty stuff." You wouldn't be saying that if you had no rights to say, do, or live how you want. You have more "stupid liberty" than you realize: proof is that you can freely use the internet. Many people do not have that right. So please reconsider the next time you start saying you don't believe in liberty.
How exactly are those deemed "fat" punished? And what if the reason is completely due to genetic factors?
I feel like I knew of this radical attempt to maintain a healthier society, but I had no one to discuss this with (not that I have much knowledge to debate with, but still).
Post a Comment