CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Maria's Inferno: Canto III

Note: I'm not sure whether to include the last three stanzas. And the whole "hell being brief" thing is stupid, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to damn anyone forever. :-)

There was a gate, gleaming like the dawn
though night had not surrendered
and the sun had long been gone.

Before it, like embers
of a dying blaze
stood translucent souls- some I remembered

from my life. All were a distant haze
unlike me. And all were wailing
repenting for the errors of their ways.

"Here ends smooth sailing,"
Anne grimly pronounced
and I felt my own face paling.

"This is where punishments are announced,"
my guide explained, "for these are the truly dead
and their sins they have not yet renounced.

See how they are filled with dread
and unlike you, move like ghosts.
This is so their lives may be read

by the one who stands at the judgement post.
This veil of mortal essence lifted
allows him to see through lies and boasts

and then each soul is sifted
according to what is owed him most.
Very rarely, some are gifted

and first go to meet the Heav'nly Host,
but usually each soul must be purged
and is sent, fleetingly, into Hell to roast."

"So then from Hell every soul must emerge?"
I inquired, filled with light relief.
"Yes," said Anne. "But now I urge

we move along, past all this grief
for I have duties to complete
and hope this time in Hell be brief."

We tried to be discreet,
but souls still stared with hollow eyes
which one cannot help but meet.

One soul I noted with surprise
carried every single feature
of someone I recognized.

my tenth grade English teacher.
"How?? She has not yet died!"
I asked Anne, beseeched her.

"Your eyes have not lied
my friend. But time does not drift in the same way
as it flows on the outside

where night is night and day is day."

3 comments:

Vizarya said...

*speechless*
I think this one is my favorite. The rhythm is catchy and the message quite... well, "deep" (sorry, I lack the proper official word for it at the moment). It has a certain mysterious feel to it, but it is one I would associate with having to encounter the dead - and you expand upon it well.

Eek, I love traveling with you here! Which is kinda creepy since it means meeting the dead (or those who will be)... but still!

Okay, one thing, though. Fifth full stanza from the bottom:
"and hop this time in Hell be brief."
Did you mean "hope" instead of "hop"?

Maria Sondule said...

Whoops, yeah, thanks.

Vizarya said...

No problem :)