
On our college visits I liked Swarthmore the best. It was secluded and nice and very welcoming. I've been visualizing myself there for the last few nights. However, the cost of going there is considerable, especially when I can probably get a free ride to my state school. However, my state school is in the city, very spread out, the housing stinks, and there are lots of hills. Not a very pretty campus. I feel like Swarthmore would be more like home.
The secludedness also provides another advantage: it is isolated from the world. (am I being redundant?) I've thought about it and realized how scared I am to go into the world alone. In the city, it;s right there pushing into your space and whispering in your ear. I've never moved once in my entire life; always lived in suburbia. There are skills involved with living in a city that I don't want to focus on while trying to balance the new coursework and complete change of scenery.
However, I know I'll most likely end up living in a city. And I know I can do it, I'll just have to prepare myself a little more. The state school might even be more sheltering than Swarthmore. I could see my parents and siblings a lot, I already somewhat know the city, it would be relatively inexpensive, and I will very likely be successful there.
This is what I am saying now. Last night I just thought: "I don't want to leave! I'm such a wimp."



4 comments:
Its okay to not want to leave, I know I don't want to leave. I'm bound to need my ma when I'm in college (I'm such a momma's boy XD)
I want to leave home too, to like Rawr's state school. It might be too big of a leap though to go from home to all by yourself :/
Hi :)
Well, I'm only 13 so I don't need to worry about that TOO much yet, but I know that when my sister and I have finished school my parents are going to spend their money travelling around the world, so I'm gonna have to think of something :)
Knee jerk reply:
There's a limit to how much you can rely on the advice of others. People tend to advise in accordance with their own natures and their own agendas. I, for example, would favour getting right away and experiencing a whole new world. But that's because I'm me, not you. It's what I did when I was a little younger than you (17 + 6 weeks.)
I think you should avoid the labels of judgment like 'I'm such a wimp.' It isn't about right and wrong. It's simply a matter of knowing yourself and your limits. Only you have the right to decide when to stay within those limits and when to push beyond them. If you feel comfortable staying close for now, then stay close for now. Sometimes a short first step is the best way to lead you towards broader horizons later. You're still very young. You have plenty of time.
One good thing about getting well away, though. When you do that - now or later - you get a much clearer view of where you came from.
Whatever decision you make, be comfortable with it and make the best of it. We only walk one road in one lifetime. Just keep walking and have no regrets.
I carry on studying in my hometown but I have always lived in the capital city of Hungary (Budapest, if you didn't know).
Post a Comment