CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thoughts About Trees


It's funny

how you can tell apart an aspen and a birch
an oak and a maple.
Some kinds are pulled out by the roots
because they have dark cherry skin.
But cacao trees are safe
since you need them alive for chocolate.
The bellies of trees are
cut into tiny planks are smoothed
down by sand and diamond dust.
They used to throw away the intestines
to make a hollow tube,
but things are more progressive now.
You see the pavement of your driveway.
What kind of tree used to grow there?
You can't tell, can you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like pine trees.

Lexi said...

cool post :)

i like..hm...climable trees :)

Anonymous said...

I like the song "The Trees" by Rush :)

JJ said...

Trees are a bit special to me. There's something essentially noble about them, and I would need a very good reason ever to cut one down. They feature in my stories a lot, and they always seem more intimidating at night for some reason.