Day 2
The day started at about 5:30, when Uncle Joe woke us up so we could get started. Much to my dismay, I'd acquired several new mosquito bites. So I vowed to get 100% deet next time and we started off. At around 7:30 Uncle joe stopped at a mini archipelago of rocks so we could eat breakfast. Hungry mouths followed the granola bars, and soon all six of us were crammed onto on small boulder that jutted out above the water. Once Spring saw a huge fish gulp down a whole granola bar at once, we decided it was time to leave.
After we'd eaten lunch Spring and I compared how tan we were. She won, of course. I managed to get sunburned and my pants soaked, but at least we made it the rest of the way up the river. After Uncle joe tried to run us through a beaver dam, we eventually found our campsite: on top of a mini-cliff. The entrance was also hidden by two large tree branches. Uncle joe managed to secure two canoes but Uncle Bob and Hector had to climb over the tree in order to send their canoe to the bank.
Then we painfully lugged our stuff up the cliff. The campsite wasn't too bad.
Day 3
We got another early start at 5:30. Spring and Uncle Bob climbed over the tree into their canoe and I paddle lazily with Uncle Joe. After a very cold breakfast, we zipped our way up the river to the Litte Orleans cabin, where we lunched. Then we paddled some more in the hot sun to one of the tributaries, where we made our camp next to some young boy scouts. I decided to bathe in the river so we all slung on our bathing suits and jumped in. The river was really warm and very clear, not deep at all. unfortunately though, there was a strong current and I almost got swept away. Fortunately, my shoe caught on a rock and I waled back upstream to safety. We also crossed the line into another state! Ha. It's only about 50 ft away anyway.
That night's dinner was glop, with a desert of freeze-dried ice-cream. Never eat the stuff. It tastes like styrofoam.
Day 4
July!! Finally!
We woke up early as usual and me and Spring got to canoe together. It was fun, and we got to sing Disney songs as we paddled. We did lag behind though, but we still got to our ending point 30 minutes early. I guess we weren't that weak. And Spring and I both agreed that we were stronger than the religious group that we kept running into. Once we arrived, the boy scout troop showed up and staled us to lunch at Pizza Hut, where tey gobbled up all the food in no time at all.
I'm sad to leave, sad to go home and leave Spring, sad to go back to work after the long break. Besides the mosquito bites, the trip was absolutely paradise. My arms look tan, but my face and legs are just sunburned. And it hurts to walk. I hope they don't call me in tomorrow.



0 comments:
Post a Comment