CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Territory

His sawdust face cracked like a stone

into a smile
as we shook hands.
I could feel every tangible fear
in his grip,
every child he had to protect,
every bloodline lost.
Behind me I heard the laughter
course against my ears
of slaves and men.
And in front
the soft voices of thick-skinned
silent hunters.
The mountains in the distance splayed out like a fan before me.
I wondered if God was watching.
And then I heard into the future-
the hiss of oncoming arrows,
the blast of friendly muskets,
the loving tears shed with a million screams.
So I paid 60 cents for peace.
And they paid with their homes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!
I'm guessing this is about America's drive for more land in the 1800-1900's?
What did you pay 60 cents for?

JJ said...

Do tell. I think there's more to you than a job at Subway.

And the verification word is - surest!

Maria Sondule said...

Snark: yeah, The 60 cents thing was supposed to mean that the guy bought the land for 60 cents. I'd heard of ridiculous exchanges happening like that, so I used one.
JJ Beazley: I would hope so...