In the far corner of the universe there was a slightly tilted little blue planet, serenely hurtling through space without a care in the world. On this planet was a disfigured mass of rock that rose out of the water. On this mass of rock there was a hollow mass of bricks, otherwise known as Sallowberry High School. And in this school was an old and neglected library. In the dustiest, dirtiest corner of this library there was a teenage boy sitting and thinking about the tiny blue planet, and the disfigured mass of rock, and the hollow mass of bricks, and basically the universe as a whole.
A tough-looking girl mistook his thoughtful gaze for a stare and plopped herself across from him to teach him a lesson.
“Watcha starin’ at, pretty boy?” she hissed, cracking her knuckles.
“I was staring at this neglected library and thinking about this tiny blue planet, this disfigured mass of rock, this hollow mass of bricks, and basically the universe as a whole.”
“I’m thinkin’ about whoopin your ass.”
“I know. Your glare and the fact that your fists were balled suggested to me that you were closed off and defensive.”
“Shut up, “the girl said, her fists curling more tightly.
“I notice that your body is pointed towards me, a sign that might indicate you attention is focused on me.”
“Yeah, so I can smash your face in.”
“Why did you come over here?”
“To tell you to leave me alone.”
The boy closed his eyes for a moment and leaned back peacefully in his chair.
“I have already explained that my attention was directed elsewhere.”
“Whatever.”
“Maybe you came over because you wished to indulge your craving for conversation.”
That provoked a short bark of laughter.
“HA! And maybe I’m the queen of England!”
The boy peered at her with a mildly amused expression on his face.
“You’re tilting your head,” he said.
“So?” The girl realized it and snapped her head up to its normal position.
“That means you think favorably of me.”
“Nah it doesn’t.”
“It does. It’s a sign of affection.”
“NOT.” A flush of color (whether from anger or not) appeared on her cheeks.
“The earth tilts on a 23.44° axis. I wonder if that means it’s amiable.” A moment of silence passed as he pondered this. Then- “AHA!”
The girl jumped. “What??”
“Posture mirroring!”
“What?”
“I shifted right, and you shifted left. It’s called posture mirroring.”
“Did not.”
“It was unconscious on your behalf.”
“You dunno nothin’.”
“It’s another sign of affection.”
The girl took a lock of her hair and put it behind her ear. Somehow an eye-roll or a knuckle crack would not fit the situation.
“And now you’re playing with your hair.”
“Jesus, there’s something wrong with you for sure.”
“I’m just observant.”
“So’s playing with hair another ‘sign of affection’?” Now came the eye-roll.
“Yep.” He looked smugly at her.
“Get a life, Socrates.”
“Already got one, thanks.”
“You're lucky I don’t end it for you.”
“There goes the head tilt…”
Aarg! “You're head’s gonna be tilted if you keep that up.”
“I’m hungry.”
“Huh?”
“My observations would indicate that you would not be opposed to joining me for a spot of nourishment.”
"Spot of what?”
“I’ve seen you eat pizza at lunch. Want to go get some?”
“You stalk me at lunch too??” The girl’s eyes narrowed and she tried to remember where she’d stashed her mace. Not that she’d need it- her fists were more than enough.
“We sit at the same table, you know.”
“Oh.” This was surprising. Then again, she’d never looked up from her food to see who else was around. It had always been nobody in the past…
“Posture mirroring again.” The boy said, half to himself.
This seemed to make the girl come out of her reverie.
“No, I don’t want pizza. I don’t want anything. Just leave me alone, ok?” She got up and slouched out of the library.
Later, he found her waiting at the pizza parlor.
And the earth tilted amicably.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Body Language*
*This is MY work and NO ONE is allowed to copy it even to make fun of it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Awwww that is pretty cool! =)
And as for your comments on my R & J post, I agree... It's inspired me for a part 2 of the post!
The start was kind of odd. I think it's because it seemed like too long of an introduction (though realistically you could have just narrowed it down to that much).
That's a pretty cool story/post, though! Once I got into it and started looking at the content rather than the style (which isn't what I'm used to at such an early hour in the day), I actually started smiling. I like that guy - he seems pretty cool. The gal is just so obviously in denial, and he knows he's got her.
I rather liked it! :D You should post little story snippets like this more often.
Well, I wasn't different. I had a good day only. That was my only one good day concerning chemistry.
Ann Michelle: Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't sure about the beginning, or the ending. Getting rid of some of the drivel is a good idea.
By the way you write well. I have my unique style but I don't really want to publish my works and they were mainly made for school.
Ropi: Thank you! Wow, I know this must be good then, because you are very honest. =D
Once I got into the story, I acutally like this story. Looking forward to reading more of these stories.
Why would anyone make fun of this post?
XD I like the last sentence, so if you must edit, I think it a keeper. I just like the way it presents itself with confident finality, but not boastful in-your-face demeanor.
well, thank you for the correction :)
ahah, i wrote that like around 3 am in the morning- but that would be a really bad excuse.
Wow, a lot of commenters! =D Sorry I haven't been around.
Great story, but everyone already mentioned what I was going to say, so I will just add that I admire your work. :)
i loved the last sentence!
Post a Comment