CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Prayer

We are thankful for the way the cheese drips off of the macaroni, the crunchiness of a carrot, and the gelatinous wiggling of the cranberry sauce.

We are thankful for the sacrifice of our families to bring us to where we are today, the gifts of personality and love that they bring, and finally, for bald and hairy heads alike.

We are thankful for the opportunities to better ourselves each day, to be educated, and to experience the joy life has to offer.

We are thankful for indoor plumbing, a roof to protect us from raging winds, and the privacy of an individual room.

We are thankful for the eloquence of music, the bright notes of a piano, and the opportunity to sing together.

We are thankful that friends are always there for us, for the connections we forge with the world around us through its people, and for inside jokes.

We are thankful for creativity because it gives us individuality. We are thankful for stories and poems that carry us to different realms of thought, and for the inspiration to bring something new into the world.

We are thankful for the way laughter can be shared, for high-pitched giggles at all hours of the night, and for humorous things.

We are thankful for the inherent beauty of each person, the beauty from within as well as without, and the beauty of the leaves as they change color.

We are thankful for the way that justice protects us from criminals, the way it can be tempered with mercy, and the means to deliver justice fairly.

We are thankful for manatees, the peaceful silence of the forest, and the difference between mountains and molehills.

We are thankful for the touch of the holy, religion, and you oh God our sovereign, ruler of the universe, who gives us this turkey and this time to be together.

2 comments:

Ben Ditty said...

I'm thankful for this beautiful post :) Happy Thanksgiving!

JJ said...

I like most of them, and, by and large, I think you're pretty spiffing. Insert 'and' if you want to. I wouldn't know.

Only I'm vegetarian. So giggle in the early hours.

Oh, and I would have preferred 'people who hurt others.' 'Criminals' is too subjective. Mass murderers come in many forms. Some the law recognises as such, and some it doesn't.

I think you will grow in wisdom until you're too old for it to matter. And I do like you.