CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ego Amo Te

What is it with guys and saying "I love you" in foreign languages? I mean, I understand being afraid to say it but if you say it in Latin I'm not going to respond with "I love you too" because I'm not 100% sure about what you said. And if I misinterpret what you said and you didn't say "I love you" then I'll look like the stupidest person on the planet.

Not that I'm complaining. The situation was very sweet. I just feel bad for not making it sweeter because of insecurities.

Does he love me? Maybe in his mind. I'm not inclined to trust him any more because of that, especially because minds are fickle things.
Do I love him? I want him to be happy. I want to help him be happy. I appreciate the little things he does that not even he notices. But I don't know if that's love. I love him in a friend way at least. Not anything more yet.

6 comments:

JJ said...

I think you'll do very well, Maria. Such a pragmatist! I'm more of a snowflakes on the tongue type. I know I keep quoting that, but it is the most beautiful thing you ever said - the one thing that made me think you just might have a touch of the Romantic hidden away somewhere.

Having said which, saying 'I love you' in Latin is at least pretentious, if not positively turgid.

Maria Sondule said...

Oh I think I'm much more of a helpless romantic. But at the same time I know enough to be cautious.
I didn't think it was pretentious, especially since we were discussing Latin right beforehand. However, I still wish he had said it in English.
He will someday though. :)

JJ said...

Being a romantic is easy, it's being a Romantic that's tough. I knew a Jewish woman from NYC once. She was a Romantic, so we used to exchange notes. And nothing else.

And I think you should make up your mind. One minute you don't trust him or love him (in THAT way,) and the next you want him to say it in English!

Maria Sondule said...

What's the difference?

And just because I don't know if I trust him beyond a certain extent or love him doesn't mean I don't want the romance. It's greedy I know, but I can't help but want it.

JJ said...

What’s the difference? Let me see whether I can explain a complex issue briefly.

The romantic and the Romantic are very different creatures. To the former, romance is a matter of the heart, to the latter, the soul. The romantic places romance into the context of a balanced set of criteria and priorities; romance is simply one of the major expressions of emotional connection. Sometimes it’s primary, but not always. To the Romantic, however, romance is all-consuming because it’s at the forefront of what drives him – the quest for the ideal, for meaning, for the esoteric, even for the mystical. The Romantic is essentially a searcher, and so any relationship is doomed to founder and probably die as soon as it becomes comfortable. There can be no comfort in searching; what would be the point?

And that’s why, to the romantic, romance is a fuzzy, gently energising experience. To the Romantic, it’s a rollercoaster ride containing equal potential for ecstasy and agony. A critic once said of Wuthering Heights that it was not so much a romance as a Romance. I think she was falling some way short of the truth, but she was on the right lines. What clouds the issue, often fooling a potential partner, is that there are undeniable elements of the romantic in the Romantic. But Romantics rarely make successful marriages.

And don’t get me started on the difference in attitudes to sex! I’ve never met a romantic woman yet who could understand what sex means to a Romantic.

I think you should avoid the Romantic male, Maria. I think he would tear you apart with his intensity, his demands, and what you would see as his ultimate killing of the light. I doubt you would tolerate him for very long, but letting a Romantic go isn’t at all easy. Then again, you do seem to be an adventurous sort of girl, so maybe...

For now, just enjoy the fuzzy.

Vizarya said...

Hahaha... I always thought I'd be swept away by a guy who said "I love you" to me in different languages XD It's kind of impressive and says they're slightly more worldly if they take the time to research how to say phrases differently. Not many people speak foreign languages when they can use English, so it's supposedly romantic when someone who bothers comes along.

Gah, but I am so totally with you on the whole "I don't know if this is love" spiel now that I get the sentiments you're explaining.