CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 21, 2011

Hills are Alive with the Sound of Spreading

Tournaments are always nerve-wracking, but this one was a little less so because all the good NA debators were at Harvard for the weekend. So I drove to this weekend's tournament, using the GPS, and arrive 15 minutes early. Since I had my camera, I took pictures of everyone for my forensics coaches, so that they could see everyone having a good time there. We started late, of course, and for my first round I debated someone from my own school. She had a typical case, and I won the round because I knew her arguments so well that I didn't even have to think about what I should say.

My second round was against a girl who showed up in a pristine dress with a computer. I was very intimidated until she started speaking. obviously a novice deabtor, she stumbled over her words and didn't finish any of her speeches. I knew I won the round, but in my last speech I accidentally used only half my time.
In my last round of the day, I went against a debator who I had seen at every single tournament. I'd beaten him twice before, but he was still very good. I beat him again.
Since morp was that night, right before the awards ceremony started my friend Stabs french-braided my hair. It took half an hour, and when she was done everyone clapped for her. Then, I changed into my dress, which was sort of ripping at the seams.
The awards ceremony started and my school did not do too well. Stabs won first place in her category, though, and when they announced LD, Swan (a freshman debator) won 3rd place. My heart deflated, because I've never won anything higher than 3rd place. But I won FIRST!! It was amazing. And both Stabs and I went up on stage to claim the trophy. I was insanely proud of myself, and afterwards I rushed grinning into the bathroom to do all my makeup.
Which leads me into the morp post.

1 comments:

Vizarya said...

"accidentally used only half of my time" - that's bad? Didn't know that. I figure, if you already made strong enough of an argument, you should be okay.

Haha, congrats on winning FIRST, madamoiselle!