6 billion looked up
fighting for the skies.
Only one looked down
into the people's eyes.
5 billion looked up
in never-ending pride
One had destroyed
the billion that had died.
4 billion looked up
fighting for the trees
for one had given all the rest
incurable disease.
3 billion looked up
ready to meet fate
One had killed the others
with intolerance and hate.
2 billion looked up
never to admit defeat
while one watched from above
a billion hastily retreat.
1 billion looked up
with fierce dignity
for half had traded sides
and become an enemy.
1 million looked up
with something close to rage
as one looked down upon 9 million
trapped in an iron cage.
1 thousand then looked up
fighting for the air.
The others simply scratched their heads
looking anywhere but there.
100 all looked up
fighting for the seas
but our voices were not heard
over One's treacherous decrees.
10 looked up
standing tall and strong.
Nothing would convince us
that what we did was wrong.
Now only I look up
but I know what it's worth
so if I must I'll stand alone
to save our precious earth.



3 comments:
Oh my God. This... was wonderfully done! Gave me a sense of foreboding with the eerie countdown <_<
Wow. You can't stand alone! I won't let you *determinedly walks to stands beside you*
"Two women looked up
with the world in their eyes
and the pain of the challenge
to refuse this demise"
I love that stanza!!!!!! It's better than my entire poem.
Ah, but no matter what you may think, the stanza itself was born from the brilliancy of your original post :)
Post a Comment