Today we woke up at 6:30 to the sound of someone playing a wakeup call on the guitar. At frist I was loathe to move, because I'd just found a nice comfortable position to sleep in, but once I got up I was moving and awake. Breakfast was oatmeal, bacon, and pancakes... yum.
So we eventually set out to the Lake of the Clouds hut. The day was chilly but bright, and unusually clear. I wore a rain jacket, but soon had to take it off becuase I was too hot. The first stretch of hike was suspiciously cliff-shaped, but I barrelled up the hills and rocks still wet from yesterday's rain. We stopped at the first clearing to look for some flower species, but all I could take in was the view of the mountains. We were finally on a little bald spot above the treeling, and I could see mountains towering in the distance. White blankets of cloudss engufled part of their peaks, and were swiftly frothing over the other side, like waves.
My uncle and Spring spent their time looking for Laurel tea, diapensia (which Uncle called Dietpepsia and Will called Dystopia), and bigelow sedge (which Uncle called Bilbo sage).
We eventually started an upward ascent to the peak of Mt. Pierce. The way was slow, long, and steep, but we made it. I collapsed from fatigue as soon as the top was within reach and then ten minutes later we had to struggle into our packs again to go down called Mt. Franklin, and it was less of a hassle. As we climbed up its hips a cloud amoeba engulfed us with thick cytoplasmic mist. Will, who was only a few meters away, dispappeared completely. I could only tell he was there when he whistled.
It felt so ethereal to be walking through a cloud. Only a few weeks earlier Lila had told me she wanted to live on the clouds. I told her it would be cold.
We also climbed to the top of Mt. Franklin. The way was incredibly treacherous, and I couldn't help but imagine myself falling backwards and crushing my skull against a sharp, liched-colored rock. Of course, I did make it, and we stopped there for a short time. The mountain was actually comprised of two peaks, so we didn't stop at the first one but continued on. On the second peak, I could see clouds swirling around the valley. The huge white mass glided up ion a swish over the peak and then dissipated. On the other side, dark gray clouds loomed every closer to us. In a few moments, I felt a drop of rain on my skin, so we hurdled down the rest of the mountain. Our hut isw next to a lake, and embedded in the clouds (hence its name). It's beautiful, and we had a lovely, fattening dinner.
Monday, August 8, 2011
Hiking Day 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment