CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

La Coma de Vigilia in English Part 4

“But I don’t want to go, Mom!” Tulio whined. “Can’t I go to school?”

“Be quiet. She was your classmate, and the Marquizes have always been nice to us. Have some respect.”

“I’m going to be sick.”

“Not in your new suit.”

The car pulled up in front of a small church. Tulio could see only one other car in the parking lot. Sullenly, he opened the door and got out of the car. His shoes were stiff and pinching his feet.

“Come,” ordered his mother.

Tulio walked behind her towards the church. Inside there were only a few pews, and an altar with a casket. Tulio couldn’t breathe.

“Hello, and thank you for coming,” said a solemn woman in a black dress.

“Our condolences.”

“Thank you. I know that she’s with God now. She died yesterday, after the coma…”

Tulio felt a flush of shame crawl across his face.

They walked towards the altar. The sad words being spoken behind him washed over Tulio like a thick fog as he climbed the steps leading to the casket. And then everything seemed to disappear as he looked at her face.

She was… in peace, almost, with a smile playing about her lips. Her hands were clasped on her stomach, and her hair had been unbraided. Now, the strands hung in long waves, like a lion’s mane. It didn’t make her look pretty- never pretty, but-

“Free,” Tulio whispered.

0 comments: