CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Sound and the Fury

Reading The Sound and the Fury prompted me to ask myself "How important is time?" One of the main characters in the book gets along without it, but then again, he does not have his full mental faculties. Can we survive without a concept of time? Was it right for Miss Quentin to run away, even if Jason was stealing from her? After all, she was only a minor. And whose fault is the downfall of the Compson family?

2 comments:

JJ said...

The way I see it, time is an unavoidable corollary of three dimensional existence. As such, I don't see how you can question time without questioning reality. Then you begin the search for the end of the universe.

Vizarya said...

I think we can survive without a concept of time. In a moment we lose track of it, and we've always managed. Perhaps it's just easier to clamp down on something more concrete for our existence when we have a way to measure what we experience by an unchanging standard.

And I haven't read the Sound and the Fury yet, so I unfortunately don't have any insights regarding any possible answers to the rest of your posed questions :-/