Pens scritch like broken clocks
ticking intermittently
throughout the barren shaft
that wheezes as the
wind stabs at its windows
dark hours slipping themselves
away into the ink
meant to beam up at zit-clogged, tired faces
in places
where light curdles and sours
and coffee becomes the only reprise
from a day of monotonous marks
scratches
dull headaches
dime eyes glinting dully
as false pretenses fade away
and I feel
intelligent
like my thumbs were meant
to slide under the seal
and my eyes were meant to be wide from
choking on a fetal insanity that
comes when you care too much
about proving that you can play their game
right up until the playing field becomes
a boiling mass of ribbons
a pin for you, a pin for you
a gold star on your frontal lobe
a trophy to hold in your blistered hands
to say I am
intelligent,
and I worship intelligence
and I will pay eighty-seven dollars
for a chance to join the cult
of intelligence
so we can all sit in an icy arena
on a wednesday morning
and vomit out our brains
secretly hating and loving
the person filling in bubbles beside us because they
could be proof
that we
are not good enough.



3 comments:
You are a true genius. A poetic genius. I loved this!
I don't often read your poems three times, Maria. I did this one. It's good. I think you've got it. So now you're:
Debater
Snow catcher
Cynic
Keep adding the levels, and then come over here and tell me about it some time before I die.
And the verification word is 'bases.' Nice one.
APs <_< ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Thank goodness they're over. XD
Post a Comment