They whisper diamond rumors bright.
I am not I but we.
I dream of darkness until I can see
but do not leave the murmurs of the night.
The secrets speak to me.
They tell me that I must fly foul to free
my body from the binding of the light.
I am not I but we.
I have no choice but to agree
the unbidden tryst is scorching in my sight.
The secrets speak to me.
As they take me for their own, ungratefully
my soul is watching upside down of right,
but the secrets speak to me.
I am not I but we.




5 comments:
Ohh... mysterious. Fabulous use of the royal/ cumulative "we" as well.
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds of death - like a trip to the underworld unbidden. Immeasurably drawn to - and part of - it, and suddenly KNOWING both facts at once while the feelings and thoughts wash over you.
Pretty amazing stuff. Was there a formal form for this style of poem?
Btw, I like your background... very leafy and colorful brushstroke-y! Kind of like multicolored grass, but in a lightly changing way.
Oh. Wow. I just realized you posted this at 9:11, and I remembered what today was (Memorial Day).
Clever, that.
Haha, I didn't mean to post it an 9:11. It was a coincidence (sorry). This doesn't even have to do with Memorial Day at all, but I guess if it fits then I'll take it. :)
This is a villanelle. Some of the lines are skewed because of the picture, but every first and last line of a stanza has a rhyme ending in "ee" and every second line has a rhyme with "ight." We read Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night in class and my teacher was raving on and on about villanelles, so I decided to try to write one. It's harder than it looks.
Oh, I believe you! All that repetition and want to make sense... ah well, I'd say the form let you get all creative :]
Hahaha, for all your teacher's ranting, I approve of what you've come up with ;D
Good heavens, Maria. Fancy form or not, I'd still like to know what's behind this.
Post a Comment