I don't think so. I think some are, but most are not. Everyone has a back story, has thoughts about the world, has some kind of intelligence. Even if they don't express themselves in an intelligent way, or we don't agree with their views, it doesn't mean they're shallow.
Who is shallow? The girl who cares only about looking beautiful? Or is she just insecure? The guy who spends extravagant amounts of money? Someone who's apathetic?



4 comments:
I think we all have our own definitions. For me, shallow people would include those who avidly read the gossip about celebrities, or who think that shopping malls are the pinnacle of culture.
At the same time I would accept the argument that there's no such thing as a shallow person, that the whole concept is too subjective. But then, we're happy enough to say that some people are 'deep,' and that must invite the corollary.
If that aspect defines who they are, then i guess I agree, they are shallow. Right now I can't think of anyone I know who fits that definition, thankfully.
"shallow" can never really define a person, but it can define behaviors. We all act shallow at some point in our lives, but some people do it a lot more than others. However, this doesn't make them a shallow person, just someone who has that appearance.
At least, that's my thoughts on it :P
By the way, my word verification thingy is "polowigg." lol
"Shallow." We know what it means, and can think of when it applies in certain circumstances to particular people... but everyone has their deeper stories lodged away somewhere out of sight. We may never know the full story - why they appear shallow, or how shallow their shallow is. It could be a defense mechanism. It could be that they don't know how to appear as anything else successfully. Who knows? I don't.
My word verification says "wagull" - s'kinda reminding me of "seagull" with a wag kind of waggle like a penguin. *sheepish grin*
Post a Comment