CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 26, 2010

Dear Henry David Thoreau

If you'll pardon me,

I hope I will not disturb your eternal egoism
by asking why you, of all people
go to such lengths
to convince yourself
that living alone,
with no friends, no family, and no
home but that which you've built
with your excessive pride
is the happiest,
purest
way to go.
You could be such a pleasant man,
but instead make it your duty
to be as intolerable as you can
to everyone you meet, and even
bestow your contempt upon generations who
won't meet you until your ashes have
turned to nothing and back to ashes again.
Good day,
and good riddance.
I won't be teaching you in my English class.
Your humble servant,
Maria Sondule

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, this could have been written to me as well. :S

Maria Sondule said...

Except for the "humble servant" part...
jk :)

Vizarya said...

LOL. What have you been reading from Henry David Thoreau to prompt such a letter?

I was under the impression that originally unlikeable men are the most compassionate :P I blame the classics. Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice for example...

Maria Sondule said...

WALDEN
Those men aren't arrogant. Thoreau is likeable, which is why he's unlikeable.

Vizarya said...

Ah, how quickly we find someone we simply love to hate *vague hand gestures and teasing smiles* Well, rant away then~