CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 24, 2010

I Hate these Things/Psychology Game

A group of 15 individuals are traveling in a spaceship on their way to colonize a distant planet that is presently void of any intelligent life but that has an environment that could easily support humans. There is a sudden malfunction in the oxygen-replenishing equipment that cannot be reapired. It can now supply oxygen for a maximum of 8 people. Therefore, 7 people must be eliminated for 8 people to survive and colonize the planet. Which ones survive? (and no, you cannot cheat and say that somehow they all end up fine)

Your task is to choose who to eliminate and why?

1. Sarah Jansen, 34, divorced, unable to have children. Advanced degree in education, excellent teacher.
2. Bonnie Jansen, 9, 4th grade, good health, average student. Mrs. Jansen's daughter
3. Susan Adams,31 unmarried, beginning nursing student, does not date men.
4. Sam Markus, 25, Interested in electronics. Comes from a very poor background. Married with pregnant wife. Introvert who likes to be left alone.
5. Ruth Markus, 20, wife of Mr. Markus. Six months pregnant. College graduate in art. Having marital problems.
6. Father Crimble, 40, Catholic priest. Good health. A socialist who is active in liberal politics.
7. Dr. Joe Perkins, 68, Medical doctor. History of heart problems but is currently practicing medicine.
8. Dr. Ed Miller, 38, Ph.D. in psychology. University professor. 1 child. Recently divorced.
9. Michael Miller, 11, Son of Dr. Miller. Physically healthy but mentally retarded with IQ around 75.
10. Jean Majors, 21, Former beauty queen. High school dropout. Likes to work with children.
11. June Hart, 42, Women's rights activist, college educated in nursing. Divorced, no children.
12. Tom Stein, 27, Athiest, history of emotional problems. Last year medical student.
13. Cynthia Allen, 25, reformed prostitute. Divorced, one infant child. Unable to have more children.
14. Lisa Allen, 1, Infant daughter of Cynthia Allen. Nursing, good health.
15. John Watson, 19, Sophomore college student, average grades, undecided major.

So. Who would you choose to eliminate and why? Please leave your comment.s


6 comments:

JJ said...

And the rest?

First thought, though. I'd be looking for people with a radical and organic approach to life. I suspect the last person I'd want would be somebody with a degree in education. As I see it, they're all about formal education, and formal education is about maintaining the staus quo.

Second thought. How about keeping the women and children, and getting rid of the men? Let's see whether the women will make as big a mess of things as the men have over the last few thousand years.

And I'd make Barbarella President.

Maria Sondule said...

They're up! I was just testing to see if it would post in columns, which it didn't. :P
The people I chose to eliminate/kill were
1. Susan Jansen, because she is unable to have children
2. Susan Adams, since she does not date men
3. Sam Markus, because he does not have great social skills, which are essential and because he wasn't as good a choice as some of the others
4. Father Crimble, because he's pretty much useless. People will find their spirituality without a priest. Besides, I would think he would choose to die, being the "holy' priest he is.
5. June Hart, since I chose to keep a different doctor with more experience over her
6. Tom Stein, again the doctor thing
7. Cynthia Allen, since she cannot have more children,

I kept all the children on principle, even though in my group for psychology no one wanted to keep Michael Miller.

JJ said...

Susan Adams – no good for breeding
Father Crimble – a personal thing. I’m just not keen on having either organised religion or politics in my Brave New World.
Dr Ed Miller – DEFINITELY no psychologists. Too much of a tendency to self importance and inventing theories to suit cultural prejudices.
Jean Majors – Beauty queen? She’d probably refuse to do any work for fear of breaking a fingernail.
June Hart – I think it would be fun watching her trying to push Jean Majors out of the door first.
Tom Stein – would probably spend too much time contemplating his withered turnip.
John Watson – sounds boring.

I hope you didn't expect me to be too serious. I did this exercise in a group once. Poeple took it too seriously.

Anonymous said...

3rd one because she does not date men, therefore with her the reproduction process can't be started.

4th one, because for a while they won't really need electronic devices.

6th one, because he is liberal.

8th one, because he is simply useless. He may have a PhD degree, but in that situation it can be used only as toilet paper.

9th one, because of the mental problems.

10th one, because she would be good onfly for reproduction.

12th one, because he would need special care.

However I didn't like the test. I wouldn't like to be a person who decides who should die or stay alive.

Eric Dilmore said...

At the risk of sounding cruel, I'd cut the oxygen, and no one would make it. It seems that, if there were only fifteen people to begin with, they would all be close, and the mourning of the people who died and the possible revolts that could arise from it would be less favorable than instant death.

Vizarya said...

Wow, I've been trying to make a list for the past half-hour and I'm having trouble reconciling.

Okay, the people I'd eliminate:

3. S. Adams - She might change her relationship preferences/code of living later, but it's no guarantee

4. S. Markus - The others should be smart enough to figure out the inventions/gadgets they'll need

6. Fr. Crimble - I don't like his politics; other adults can pass on their faith to the children

7. Dr. J. Perkins - Other rising medical doctors will replace him

9. M. Miller - Dead weight (though, admittedly, that's not his fault)

11. J. Hart - Might not be healthy enough to give birth; Activist info can be passed down to children from other adults

13. C. Allen - Unable to have more children; Remove strong possibility for STDs (but poor Lisa! D: *woebegone*)