It's strange where we find our inspiration sometimes. I was in a pet shop today getting fish and I saw the most adorable kitten. I'm sure all of us have had that experience where we see a kitten, or a dog perhaps, locked up in a cage, and we go to pick it up. It always ends in love, and yet no one ever takes the poor things home.
Please give me some constructive criticism of this poem. Does it capture the feeling described above?
And read John Updike's "Death of a Dog," which is also where I got some of my inspiration.
nestle you in the crook of my arm
and stroke your soft, squishy fur.
Each time my index finger
slides down your back
you tremble in delight and
a golden "purr"
floats out of that tiny mouth.
Your soft paws, so delicate
I could snap them with a twitch
of my fingers,
flex, and you
yawn widely, squeezing your furry eyes shut
and sticking out a pink little tongue.
If I stick my finger in your mouth
you bite with porcelain teeth,
no more weapons than
a baby's hands.
I would take you home
and give you a rug to curl upon
and a warm glass of cream, if only
you were mine.
As I leave you, I can hear
your innocent "mew?"
and I can feel your warmth
in my arms.




3 comments:
Well, I have cat fur allergy so a cat would be inspiration to use my nosespray in the best case.
Hello, you have the most fabulously wonderful site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are beautifully written, creative and original too, and you have interesting pictures.
It's all perfect !
Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes.... 'Happy September'....
Hi,
I think that inspiration is found in the heart, the way we feel about a thing, or a person, or a particular shape. At other times, we may merely become moved by unforgetable memories of a vacation, or a short time spent in heaven with a loved one. Sometimes the greatest things which leave us completely tired, and exhausted, are the moments we spent, doing that which creates memories, or actions which will bring us that inspiration. Perhaps just taking a minute to hold something, or someone, or pausing to take that little photo of a memory felt not in the head, but in the heart.
Post a Comment